Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.14970°N / 118.5295°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13374 ft / 4076 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The only thing that stands out to me about this mountain is that it is close to Cloudripper and therefore easy to bag on your way to or fro Cloudripper. Climbing either the north slope or the south slope from Cloudripper is not technically difficult. It is mostly stable talus and class 2 climbing. I was surprised to find a summit register there because the name of the mountain is not listed on any of the maps I have seen.

Getting There


From 395 in the town of Bishop, head west on 168/West Line Street, one of the few stoplights in town. After approximately 15 miles up 168, turn left onto South Lake Road and proceed for 5.8 miles to South Lake and the trailhead for Bishop Pass. There is both day use and overnight parking, so park appropriately.

Bishop Pass Trail climbs along the east side of South Lake. After a mile there is a junction with Treasure Lakes Trail, follow Bishop Pass Trail to the left. After another mile there is a junction with Bull Lake and Chocolate Lake, hang a left and follow the trail past all of the Chocolate Lakes for about a mile and half. Due east of the highest Chocolate lake there is is a Class 2-3 chute that leads directly up to a plateau between Cloudripper and Vagabond. If you stick to the side of the chute, it is quality climbing on slab and blocks. When you gain the top of the chute, Vagabond is to your left and Clouldripper is to your right.

For directions up the north side of Vagabond, see Bob's trip report for Cloudripper.

Red Tape


Wilderness permits are required anytime for overnight camping. Permits are not required for day use. Permits for this area can be obtained from the Lee Vining Ranger Station, the White Mountain Ranger Station in Bishop, and the Lone Pine Ranger Station. Quotas are in effect for Bishop Pass from May 1 through November 1. Reservations can be made by checking the Inyo National Forest page.

When To Climb


The best months to climb are from May through August, although attempts can be made year round.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

justinjohnsen - Aug 7, 2007 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Aliases

Also referred to as "Little Cloudripper" or "Cloudripper Jr." in other places (including Sierra Club write-ups). From the north approach, it blocks the view of Cloudripper itself, so it's natural to mistake it for Cloudripper on the way up.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

John Muir WildernessMountains & Rocks
 
 
California ThirteenersMountains & Rocks