Albert Heim Hut

Albert Heim Hut

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 46.60570°N / 8.43321°E
Additional Information County: Uri Alps Group
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8340 ft / 2542 m

Albert Heim Hut general information

 

Albert Heim HutAlbert Heim Hut

 

The Albert Heim Hut is an official SAC (Swiss Alpin Club) Hut, located in the Uri Canton of Switzerland.The Hut is located in the high alpine area in the height of 2542 meters and it's an ideal starting point for different activities over the year, as mountaineering and alpine climbing in summer and snowshoe and ski tours in winter. It was the Zurich geologist and glaciologist Albert Heim who proposed the location of this mountain lodge, which was then expanded on several occasions. The refuge can be reached from the valley floor with a simple 1 and a half hour walk and is also the base for ascents to the surrounding mountains, such as the Galenstock, whose view from the refuge is fantastic. The possibility of making great rock climbs is another of the strengths of the highlights of the refuge, such as the Graue Wand, Gletschorn, Dammazwillinge. The Albert Heim Hut offers rooms for 80 peoples, the dining room is a typical room in friendly wood and is feastet from June to October, all the other months the hut is feasted on request or in the high season of ski tours, depending on the weather and, of course, of the request. There is no winter shelter.

 

How to get there

Road access

The next biggest town is Andermatt wich can be reached:

By train - From Valais and Graubünden you can reach Andermatt with the Matterhorn Gotthard train on the route of the famous Glacier express.
By car from the South, over the Gotthard pass in Summer, or over the year through the Gotthard tunnel to the city of Göschenen.
By car from the West, from Valais over the Furkapass, or with car on the train from the city Oberwald to the city of Realp.
By car from the East, crossing the Oberalppass, or with the car on the train from the city of Sedrun to Andermatt.

From Andermatt take the Furkapass road, connecting Andermatt on the Eastern side of the pass and Gletsch, on the Western side. Reach the locality of Realp 1538 m and then the Hotel Tiefenbach m. 2110, situated a few kilometers below the Furkha Pass on the Andermatt side of the pass along the road. In the area around the Hotel Tiefenbach look for a park range for your car if you want to start walking from here (cheaper solution). Alternatively take a military toll-road (7 CHF to be payed at the start), starting on the right of the main road, a few hundred meters past the hotel. The gravel road cuts the walking approach time by about 20 minutes and rises with some hairpins to the Tatsch parking m. 2270 (paying parking, camping is not allowed).

Walking Approach from Tatsch parking

From Tatsch follow the path to the hut. After about 1 hour by walking, the path forks. The right track leads to the hut, just above. You need normally about 1 and a half hour, in winter it might be a little bit longer. The trail to the hut is marked with signs and also long rods.

 

Snowshoe tour
Ascent to Albert Heim Hut in late Spring

Mountains around the Hut

On account of the good position of the hut some great climbs are possible from here: DammazwillingeGraue WandGalenstockGletschhornGletschhorn SpurLochberg, Winterstock Turm I

Useful info and Links

 
Owner: S.A.C. Swiss Alpine Club Sec. UTO - Furka6491 Realp Tel. +41 (0)41 887 17 45
Guardian: Roman Felber, Brunnenhöfli 8, 6012 Obernau 
Size: 64 people + 8 in the winter shelter
Hut Phone:  +41 (0)41 887 17 45

www.albertheimhuette.ch

Maps

Official Maps of Canton Uri 1:25000 Urseren 1231

Way to Galenstock from the Albert Heim Hut
Way to Galenstock from the Albert Heim Hut

 

Chli Bielenhorn
Chli Bielenhorn


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Uri Alps GroupHuts & Campgrounds
 
GalenstockHuts & Campgrounds
 
GletschhornHuts & Campgrounds
 
Chli BielenhornHuts & Campgrounds