Askole Village (3048-M), Baltistan, Pakistan

Askole Village (3048-M), Baltistan, Pakistan

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Informational, Scenery, Panorama, Water

Askole Village, Gateway to High Mountain and Glaciers

Askole village is located about 85 kilometers from Skardu, Pakistan. Askole Village, Pakistan's highest and most remote village, the last human settlement before trek up to Baltoro Glacier to Concordia and highest peak and longest glaciers (outside polar region)on earth. The Askoe vilage is famous for gateway to Great Mountain on earth and longest glaciers on earth outside polar region. Askole village is the starting point of the trek to Baltoro Glacier, Biafo Glacier, Chogtai Glacier. The Climbing and trekking expedition stay here for a night and arrange porters. Askole village is gateway to K2, Broad Peak, Gasherbrums,Muztagh Towers, Uli Biaho Tower, Paiyu Peak, Baintha Brakk and Latok Peaks, and many more. Camp site is available at Askole village.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
klwagar

klwagar - Oct 16, 2009 10:48 am - Voted 10/10

thanks

for an interesting perspective of the area.

Afzal

Afzal - Oct 16, 2009 11:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: thanks

Thank you very much for your nice comments and vote. Best regards, Afzal

Afzal

Afzal - Oct 17, 2009 3:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: One reads a lot....

Thanks for nice comments. Best regards, Afzal

markhallam

markhallam - Nov 16, 2010 12:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Amazing

Thanks for sending me this link Afzal - this is amazing! Can hardly believe they got a road through to Askole - having walked there through the Braldu Gorge back in '87. I presume it must take a bit of work to keep it open, especially in winter? But worth it - bringing prosperity to the village by the looks of it. When I was there I think I remember someone called Hagi Mahdi was head man - don't know if I have spelled that right? We did a medical clinic in the village - pictures in my Expedition Medicine article. Back in those days they often depended on passing expeditions for medical help - but with the road I guess that has changed as well.
Best wishes, Mark

Afzal

Afzal - Nov 17, 2010 10:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing

Thank you very much Mark - for looking at my album of Askole Village. The road from Skardu to Askole village is about 85 kilometers, in which 32 kilometers is paved up to Shigar and further road is un-paved. Jeep services are available from Skardu to Askole, but the journey is still uncomfortable, due to bad rains and landslides. In summer season some sections of road block due to rain and landslides for many days. For crossing blocks specially at Hoto, where expedition and and trekking team have to cross the road block by hiring of porters. At the other side of the block, they can hire another jeep. This situation is not always, but sometime. Otherwise jeep able road remain open for the travelers all the year.

I think that Haji Mehdi was the Sirdar (Head of porters) and he also own a camping site in Askole Village. Now there is an Medical clinic and Government is providing sufficient medical facilities to the people. The foreigner doctors visiting the area with the expedition and trekking teams providing medical assistance to the local people also.

By opening of this road, now you can reach from Skardu to Askole within 07 hours subject to road condition, and I think this change is best for the better living of people of the area.
Thanks again for your kind and valuable comments.
With best wishes, Afzal


Viewing: 1-5 of 5