Concordia, Karakoram, Pakistan

Concordia, Karakoram, Pakistan

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Alpine Climbing, Aid Climbing, Hiking, Skiing, Informational, Scenery, Panorama

Concordia,

K-2, the second highest mountain on earth, at its foot stretches another wonder of the world, Concordia, a flowing, uneven, pockmarked river of ice, where great glaciers go down and slither together before separating to go their different ways. Like a proscenium, Concordia, is part of main stage of natural amphitheatre that has not equal. On every side, within a distance of 24 kilometers, rise up ten of the world’s thirty highest peaks.

The Concordia, all around are giant ice clad mountains of 7000 and 8000m. Concordia is at the heart of Karakoram range, and the centre of a complex of some of the world's highest peaks and many of its largest glaciers. It is a location steeped in history, redolent of the adventurous, questing spirit that drove the earliest explorers and mountaineers to pursue their objectives whatever the hardship met: G.T.Vigne who first discovered the Karakoram System; Lt. Montgomerie and Godwin Austen who first identified and measured the distant peaks including K-1(Masherbrum) and K2; Younghusband , Conway, Jacot-Guillarmod; the Duke of Abruzzi accompanied by his splendid photographer, Vittorio Sella; Kenneth Mason of the Survey of India; the Duke of Spoleto and Professor Desio; Dr. Visser and his wife; Shipton, Tilman and Auden; and the baltis, Balti men, and balti Porters who carried and endured for they knew not what. All contributed to the unraveling and understanding of this great, awe-inspiring mountains system; many are commemorated in the name of glaciers. passes and peaks.

Concordia, or Place de La Concorde as Martin Conway called this unique crossroads, is now the meeting place of mountaineers, trekkers, travelers, adventure and nature lovers from many lands brought together by shared interests and ideals and common goals.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
drshahidiqbal

drshahidiqbal - Sep 24, 2009 12:02 am - Voted 10/10

Nice

This is really excellent shots Afzal sb. I wish to go to Concordia and these shots has increased my desire

Afzal

Afzal - Sep 24, 2009 1:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Thanks.

Shahid Hussain

Shahid Hussain - Apr 21, 2020 11:54 am - Hasn't voted

Amazing

Beautiful image of K2 and other peaks in the background. Awesome click.

Afzal

Afzal - May 1, 2020 8:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing

Thanks

Viewing: 1-4 of 4