Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.60874°N / 111.48128°W
Additional Information County: Summit/Wasatch
Additional Information Elevation: 9346 ft / 2849 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bald MountainBald Mountain from the east

Bald Mountain is a relatively small peak anchoring the east end of Park City Ridge in the Central Wasatch Mountains, Utah. Although it is a smaller mountain, its prominent feature stands resolute over Weber Valley (aside from Mount Timpanogos). Bald Mountain is also the highest lift served mountain within Deer Valley Mountain Resort. . Most of the mountain is carved with ski runs and a ski lift is located just below the summit. In the summer, you can get a free ride down on the lift.

On the summit, there is alot of summit hardware, which obscures some of its western views. However, aside from this, Bald Mountain holds excellent views of Park City, Deer Valley Resort, Weber Valley, Clayton Peak, Mount Timpanogos, Cascade Mountain, and the Uinta Mountains. Along with its great views, this is a fairly easy peak to hike and is great for novice hikers.

Although this is a smaller and more easily accessed peak, its views are simply amazing with deep views into Weber Valley and of many of the prominent features in the Wasatch Mountains.

Summit HardwareView from the summit


Routes

ViewView from Silver Lake Trail
Google ImageGoogle Image

There are two designated hiking trails by Deer Valley Resort:
Silver Lake Trail and Ontario Canyon Trail. Both start at Silver Lake Village and are about 2.5 miles one way to the top of Bald Mountain. The Silver Lake Trail is on the left side (East Face) and the Ontario Canyon Trial is on the right side (west face) of the mountain. Both are very well marked and maintained by Deer Valley Resort.

Red Tape

Bald Mountain LiftDeer Valley Resort Lift

In the winter months, a lift pass will probably be necessary to hike to Bald Mountain as it is within Deer Valley Resort.

Unlike many other peaks in the area, Bald Mountain can be accessed fairly easily in the winter because the roads leading to the base of Deer Valley Resort will be plowed.

Getting There

From Park City to Deer Valley Resort Head southeast on Park Ave/UT-224 toward Lame Dog. Turn left at Deer Valley Dr/UT-224. At the traffic circle, take the 1st exit onto Marsac Ave/UT-224 Continue to follow UT-224. Turn left at Guardsman Connection. Turn right at Royal St W. Park at the parking lot out front of Deer Valley Resort.

This is generally the main way to get to Bald Mountain, however, you could come out of Midway on Hwy 224 or come up through Big Cottonwood Canyon over Guardsman Pass.
Bald Mountain ViewViews off of Bald Mountain

Mountain Biking

Also this area receives lots of mountain bike activity. Lots of trails provide opportunity for premier cross country, downhill and just plan mountain biking. During the summer, you will most likely see them out and about on the surrounding trails, so be aware of that. For more information about the local mountain biking, click HERE.

External Links

Wasatch/Cache National Forest

The Avalanche Center

Utah Avalanche Center

Deer Valley Resort Hiking Info

Misc

If you have any additional information/pictures for this peak please tell me and I will add them or you can just post them.
ViewMore views off of Bald Moutain