Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.58397°N / 112.17592°W
Additional Information County: Tooele
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8242 ft / 2512 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Barneys Peak is part of the northern Oquirrhs, just south of Nelson Peak. It has a great overlooking view of the Bingham Copper mine. There is a nice trail heading up Pass Canyon that provides the route to the summit.

Getting There


From Salt Lake head west on I-80 to State Road 36 which heads south towards Tooele. As you approach Tooele the highway will go up and over a bridge crossing the railroad tracks, take the first left after that bridge onto 1280 North. You will then take the next immediate left turn onto 2000 North which is also Pine Canyon Road. Take Pine Canyon Road to the small town of Lincoln and then make another left turn onto Churchwood Drive. The road to Pass Canyon is about 2000 feet north on Churchwood and heads directly east. Follow that road until you reach the BLM fence.


Route


Pass Canyon, accessed from the tiny community of Pine Canyon (a.k.a. Lincoln) northeast of Tooele, had a jeep road that climbed up the canyon toward Barneys Peak. The road drops down into and traverses the head of Barneys Canyon on the SLC side and eventually ties into the access road leading to the communication facilities on Nelson Peak, the highest point in the northern Oquirrhs.

Pass Canyon (BLM land) is now closed to motorized vehicles, and is beginning to fade, particularly higher in the canyon. It is still open to mtn. bikes, and hiking. The route up Pass Canyon is not shown on USGS 1:24k maps (Bingham Canyon quadrangle), and despite being closed all of the roads are still visible in Google Earth if you click the roads layer.  


Red Tape


No motorized vehicles are allowed on BLM land. The ridgeline of the Oquirrh Mountains is also the boundary of Rio Tinto/Kennecott property, with everything east of the ridge on the Salt Lake side being private property.


When to Climb

Climbing is best done in the early summer/last spring after the snow has melted. From June to September temperatures can be very high.  

 Camping

Check with the Salt Lake BLM office for camping restrictions. 

External Links


 


 http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56538671-90/jewell-interior-utah-blm.html.csp