Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.04280°N / 107.4717°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13256 ft / 4040 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This seldom visited summit stands alone just south west of Uncompahgre Peak and south east of Wetterhorn Peak. This is not a mountain that you would want to make a special trip for but instead as an extra summit while you’re in the area. I personally think its best done on the same day as doing the Matterhorn as it sits 2 miles from it and the approach is very direct from the base of the Matterhorn. This peak gives excellent views of both Wetterhorn and Matterhorn, and Uncompahgre Peak.
There is a resister on top put up there in 2002. It has only been signed twice.

Getting There

Matterhorn Creek is probably the best approach. It can also be done from Nellie Creek. Since I would consider this more of a "bonus mountain” check the Wetterhorn Peak page for directions to Matterhorn Creek trail head. Or check the Uncompahgre Peak page for the Nellie Creek Directions.

Red Tape

none

When To Climb

The best time to climb is June-September. Just remember to start early as the afternoon thunderstorms roll in. The majority of this climb is above 12,000 feet and there are not really any escape routes. The Uncompahgre Peak page has all the information you really need for this area. I highly recommend checking it out.

Camping

There are some camping spots up Matterhorn Creek.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.