Cibola, Jim Thompson & Wilson Canyon Trails

Cibola, Jim Thompson & Wilson Canyon Trails

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.88355°N / 111.78357°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A network of trails runs along the outer edges of the city of Sedona. These trails are far enough from the city to provide the hiker with a wilderness experience.

The trails described in this page sit to the north of Sedona. I have arbitrarily lumped them together in a single page. They can be combined with many other nearby trails that share a trailhead to create much longer day hikes (Huckaby Trail, Brins Mesa Trail, Teacup Trail etc to name a few).












Map
Map


Getting There

Midgley Bridge Trailhead on Route 89A
This area serves as trailhead to 4 different trails: Huckaby Trail, Jim Thompson Trail, Wilson Canyon Trail and South Wilson Mountain Trail. It is also a scenic viewpoint. The parking area can fill up fast on the weekends so get an early start. From the intersection of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona (The “Y”), drive roughly 2 miles north on 89A to Midgley Bridge. The trailhead is immediately on the north side of the bridge on the left (west) side of the road.
34 Deg 53.158 Min North
111 Deg 44.498 Min West

Jordan Rd. Trailhead
From the intersections of Route 89A and 179 (The “Y”) in Sedona, drive a short distance north on 89A to Jordan Rd. Turn left on Jordan Rd and drive to the end of it. Turn left on West Park Ridge Drive and go a short distance to the end of the neighborhood and then on a well graded dirt road to reach a trailhead common to many trails. You will see the signs for Brins Mesa Trail on the left (west side).
34 Deg 53.289 Min North
111 Deg 46.136 Min West

Soldier Pass Rd. Trailhead
Drive north on Soldier Pass Rd. (off of 89A, a few miles west of The “Y”) to near its end, then turn right onto Shadow Rock Rd, which quickly becomes Rim Shadow Rd and then Canyon Shadow Drive (all in a very short distance). You will see a gated trailhead on the left. This gate is usually locked 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. If the gate is locked, you will not find any other place to park.
34 Deg 53.013 Min North
111 Deg 47.014 Min West

Cibola Trail

Cibola Trail is 1.4 miles long.
This description takes you from Soldier Pass Trailhead to Jordan Rd. Trailhead. The trails are well-signed.
Follow the Soldier Pass Trail north. After 0.27 miles, turn right on Jordan Trail. You will soon reach a big sink hole known as Devils Kitchen.





Sink hole
Devils Kitchen


Follow the Jordan Trail until you reach a sign for Cibola Trail. You will have good views of the red rock country around you.








On Cibola Trail
 
On Cibola Trail
 
On Cibola Trail
Wilson Mtn & Canyon


The trail goes up to a high point as it passes on the south side of Morning Glory Spire and Cibola Mitten.






Morning Glory Spire
Morning Glory Spire
Cibola Mitten
Cibola Mitten


The trail then descends to reach Jordan Road Trailhead.





On Cibola Trail
 


Jim Thompson Trail

Jim Thompson Trail is 2.8 miles long
Jim Thompson Trail takes you from Jordan Road Trailhead east onto the southern slopes of Wilson Mountain and a formation known as Steamboat Rock.














Morning Glory Spire & Cibola Mitten
MGS & Cibola
On Jim Thompson Trail
 
On Jim Thompson Trail
 
Steamboat Rock
Steamboat Rock
Capitol Butte
Capitol Butte
On Jim Thompson Trail
 
Wilson Mountain
Wilson Mountain


Near the end of the trail, you can follow a spur trail on the right to a spot where you can have a view of Midgley Bridge on Route 89A. Jim Thompson Trail ends at the middle section of Wilson Canyon Trail.





Midgley Bridge on Route 89A
Midgley Bridge


Wilson Canyon Trail

Wilson Canyon Trail is 1.4 miles long.
At the Midgley Bridge Trailhead, you will have good views of Midgley Bridge and Wilson Canyon.






Midgley Bridge
Midgley Bridge
Wilson Mountain & Wilson Canyon
Wilson Mtn & Canyon


The trail heads north up the canyon. After half a mile, it goes by the intersection with Jim Thompson Trail. Continue north.














On Wilson Canyon Trail
 
On Wilson Canyon Trail
 
On Wilson Canyon Trail
 
On Wilson Canyon Trail
 
On Wilson Canyon Trail
 
On Wilson Canyon Trail
 
On Wilson Canyon Trail
 


You will soon reach a sign that indicates the end of the trail. You will not have much of a view from this spot. You can go some 50-75 vertical feet up a beaten path on a steep slope to get good views.









Wilson Mountain
 
From the end of Wilson Canyon Trail
 
Munds Mountain
Munds Mountain
Wilson Mountain
Wilson Mountain


Essential Gear

Hiking Equipment

Weather

See the forecast for the town of Sedona, AZ.

Red Tape

You will need a Red Rock Parking Pass. See the link below:

http://www.redrockcountry.org/passes-and-permits/where-to-purchase.shtml

External Links

Cibola Trail: http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/cibola/cibola.html.

Jim Thompson Trail: http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/cibola/cibola.html.

Wilson Canyon Trail:
http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/wilsoncanyon/wilsoncanyonl.html.