Llama, Little Horse & Broken Arrow Trails

Llama, Little Horse & Broken Arrow Trails

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.82972°N / 111.75467°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A network of trails runs along the outer edges of the city of Sedona. These trails are far enough from the city to provide the hiker with a wilderness experience.

The trails described in this page sit to the southeast of Sedona. I have arbitrarily lumped them together in a single page. They can be combined with other nearby trails that share a trailhead to create much longer day hikes (Margs Draw to the north and Courthouse loop to the south).










Map
Map


Getting There

Courthouse Butte Trailhead:
From the intersection of Route 89A and 179 in Sedona (The “Y”), drive 8 miles south on Route 179 until you see a “Scenic View” sign on the left (east) side of the road. Park in the provided area and look for trail signs.

Morgan Road Trailhead
Common to Margs Draw and Broken Arrow Trails. From the intersection of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona (The “Y”), drive 1.4 miles south and turn left onto Morgan Road. Go a short distance to the end of the road.

Llama Trail

Llama Trail is 2.5 miles long (plus less than half a mile on Courthouse Loop Trail)
At the Courthouse/Bell Rock Loop Trailhead, head east and follow the loop on the north side of Bell Rock. You will soon reach the junction with Llama Trail (after the junction with Bell Rock Pathway).
Llama Trail heads east toward a series of walls below Lee Mountain. The Twin Buttes will be visible to the north.







Twin Buttes
Twin Buttes
Wall to the east of Llama Trail
Looking East
Wall to the east of Llama Trail
Looking East


The trail then makes a turn and heads north at the base of the mentioned wall.





Wall to the east of Llama Trail
Wall, looking east


You will have good views of Cathedral Rock to the distant west.





Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock


Twin Buttes will be visible to the north.





Twin Buttes
Twin Buttes


You can look south to see Courthouse Butte and Bell Rock. You will then reach the junction with Little Horse Trail.






Courthouse Butte & Bell Rock
Courthouse Butte Buttes
North end of Llama Trail
Looking East


Little Horse Trail

Little Horse Trail is 2 miles long. This is a description of the 1 mile section of the trail between Llama Trail Junction and Chicken Point (where Broken Arrow Trail starts).

You will see two impressive spires to the east of the eastern Twin Butte.









Spires above Chicken Point
Spires above Chicken Point
The spires above Chicken Point
Spires
The spires above Chicken Point
Spires


The trail goes up to a saddle Known as Chicken Point at the base of the mentioned spires.













Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point
Near Chicken Point


At the saddle, the spires will be seen from a different angle. You are likely to see a large number of people brought to this spot by Jeep tour operators in Sedona.





Spires above Chicken Point
Chicken Point


Broken Arrow Trail

Broken Arrow Trail is 1.5 miles long. For the most part it goes parallel with a Jeep Road. I missed the side trail to Submarine Rock. See the link at the bottom of the page.

At Chicken Point, you can look south to get good views of Route 179.





View From Chicken Point
View south from Chicken Point


The trail heads north and slowly goes down in elevation to end at Morgan Road Trailhead. You will have superb views of the surrounding red rock country. Near the end of the trail, you will see a sink hole named Devils Dining Room.

On Broken Arrow Trail  
On Broken Arrow Trail  
Munds Mountain  
Munds Mountain Munds Mountain
Wilson Mountain Wilson Mountain
On Broken Arrow Trail  
On Broken Arrow Trail  
On Broken Arrow Trail  
On Broken Arrow Trail  
On Broken Arrow Trail  
On Broken Arrow Trail  

Essential Gear

Hiking Equipment

Weather

See the forecast for the town of Sedona, AZ.

Red Tape

You will need a Red Rock Parking Pass. See the link below:

http://www.redrockcountry.org/passes-and-permits/where-to-purchase.shtml

External Links

Llama Trail: http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/llama/llama.html.

Little Horse Trail: http://greatsedonahikes.com/littlebroken/littlebroken.html.

Broken Arrow Trail: http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/brokenarrow/brokenarrow.html.