Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.86791°N / 10.70089°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Via Ferrata
Additional Information Elevation: 5735 ft / 1748 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cima CasetCima Caset seen from Corno della Marogna

To the west of Lago di Garda, to the south-west of Lago di Ledro you will find a ridge of rocky limestone mountains, which stretches between Monte Corno, which towers above Lago di Ledro to Cima Caset. It is home to the exposed, but easy Sentiero Attrezato Mora-Pellegrini, an easy via ferrata which dates back to WW I times. During the war the front between Austia and Italy ran right through Valle di Ledro with the northern side (another long ridge line) in Austrian hands while the southern side carried the fortifications of the Italian Alpini.
Val Scaglia
Rocky hoodoos south of Cima Caset
Cima Caset

This southern side is exactly where Sentiero Mora-Pellegrini runs with three named summits along its path, Monte Corno, Cima Prubogn and Cima Caset. At 1748m and a little set off to the westthe latter is the second highest mountain on the ridge. Unlike its direct neighbours, which consist of numerous limestone towers and spires, Cima Caset is a mountain with two pyramid shaped summits. Sentiero Mora-Pellegrini passes to the south of the summits but a short scramble will lead you to the western of the two.
Monte Cadria
Rock tower between Cima Caset and Cima Prubogn
Monte Carè Alto

There are old WW I positions on both summits, two concrete shelters which are in different states of decay. The one on the western is a cube with 2m length, the roof of which has caved in in parts. Still it is possible to climb to the top to take in the wonderful views towards the mountain groups in the north, where you can find the Brenta- and Adamello Groups.

360° Summit Panorama

360° Summit Panorama from Cima Caset

Getting There

Lago di LedroLago di Ledro, trailhead for Cima Caset

The trailhead for Sentiero Mora-Pellegrini is at Pur at the south of Lago di Ledro

  • On Brenner Motorway A22 take the exit Roveretto Sud
  • Switch to SS240 to Riva del Garda
  • After the town follow the signs to Valle di Ledro still remaining on SS240.
  • After Molina di Ledro, just as you reach the lake shore, turn south onto Via al Lago, which hugs the coast and heads for Pieve di Ledro along the southern and eastern shores.
  • The trailhead at Pur is located to the south-east of the lake. There is a small parking lot at the intersection with Val di Pur

Route

Cima PrubognSentiero Mora-Pellegrini near Cima Prubogn

See the following page, which describes the route west to east:

Sentiero Attrezato Mora-Pellegrin

Red Tape

Lillium martagonLillium martagon, turk's cap lily

There doesn't appear to be any red tape around here. However there are many protected plants like lillies or orchids in the area.

When to Climb

Best time is late summer and autumn. If tackled from the east Cima Caset should be possible in winter, too, either by tour skis or snowshoes. Sentiero Mora-Pellegrini isn't.

Accommodation

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps


  • Digital Maps
  • Regular Maps
    • Alto Garda - Ledro - Monte Baldo
      Tabacco Map 061
      Editione Tabacco
      1:25000
      ISBN: 978-8883151057
    • Alto Garda - Ledro - Valle del Sarca
      Kompass Map WK096
      Kompass Verlag
      1:250000
      ISBN: 978-3850264921
    • Alto Garda e Ledro
      Kompass Map WK690
      Kompass Verlag
      1:250000
      ISBN: 978-3854917724


Books


  • Gardaseeberge
    Heinrich Bauregger
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-7633-4256-3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.