Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.27900°N / 115.648°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9692 ft / 2954 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cockscomb Peak is the high point of Cockscomb Ridge. Although not one of the highest points in the Spring Mountain Range it should prove to be a good workout for anyone that decides to climb it.

The peak sits at an elevation of 9,692 feet. The route I've listed below has and elevation gain of about 2800 feet over a distance of 2 miles.

This hike follows, what is listed on the topo, as an old 4WD road. It's not much of a road anymore but it is an easy to follow trail. This road/trail ends at Stanley B. Springs. From here you'll follow a canyon up to a ridgeline that'll lead you to the summit.

Due to the elevation and the fact that there's plenty of shade along the way this climb can even be done in the summer.

If you're looking for a hike in the Spring Mountains where you're not likely to run into other hikers this would be a good choice. There's no well defined trail to the summit so this alone discourages the average hiker. I've hiked this a couple of times and didn't run into anyone along the way.

Getting There

From the Las Vegas Valley take the 95 north to the Kyle Canyon turn-off (highway 157). Make a left and follow it for apx. 20 miles. Keep your eyes peeled for a large spot where you can pull off the road and park. This spot is located at N36 15.598 W115 37.938

Red Tape

There's no red tape you need to go through for this climb that I'm aware of. The mountain is open year round and no fees or permits are required.

When To Climb

Cockscomb Peak can be climbed year round, although I would imagine that during the winter with snowy conditions some knowledge of climbing on very steep snowy slopes would be required.

The Hike

From the parking area you'll follow a small canyon about a third of a mile until it intersects with a very well defined trail. Head east on this easy to follow trail for about a mile until you arrive at Stanley B. Springs. There are no signs to inform you that you've arrived at the springs but the lush vegetation in the area makes it rather obvious.

When you see this tree with the old mining sign on it you'll know you've arrived at the springs.
Stanley B. Springs


From the springs head north (right) around the big hill you've arrived at. You'll be heading up a canyon at this point. Continue up the canyon for about a half mile. Along the way you'll pass several dry waterfalls.

When you're able to climb up out of the canyon (to the left) and gain the ridgeline. From the ridgeline you'll see a huge summit in front of you. THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL SUMMIT. This summit fooled me the first time. You're actually aiming for the base of this false summit on the right hand side.
Not the summitThis is not the actual summit. Don't let it fool you.


As you continue to climb the ridgeline keep your eyes peeled to the right of the ridge you're on and you'll see the actual summit come into view.
The SummitThe actual summit finally comes into view a few hundred feed below the saddle.


The last few hundred feet to the saddle is very steep with lots of loose rock. Hiking poles would really come in handy at this point.

Once you've reached the saddle it's a short, easy 800 ft walk over to the summit. The elevation gain from the saddle to the summit is very minimal.

There is a summit log so make sure you sign it once you arrive.

Map

External Links

360 Panorama from Cockscomb Peak



A great trip report.



Photos of mines you'll pass on the way.



More photos of the hike.


Here are links to my blog documenting several attempts I made to this summit...
5-30-07
6-7-07
6-29-07




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.