Egypt One Canyon

Egypt One Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Inside the short slot canyon known as Egypt One
Inside the short slot canyon known as Egypt One

Located within Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah this is a very short, but fun, slot canyon involving three tricky spots.  The first tricky spot is getting into the canyon, which can be either downclimbed into or rappeled into - under 16 feet of drop. The canyon deepens while becoming more narrow as you head downhill to the south. The next tricky spot is soon encountered being a 23 foot rappel. Continuing down, there is one final tricky spot which had a hand line attached to it when I did this canyon.  This third obstacle is a bit of a ramp dropping onto a grooved ledge which next involves a four foot drop or slide.  The entire canyon can't be more than a three quarters of a mile.  Exit the canyon to the east and stroll north-ish back to the parking area.  Small groups will need under one hour to complete the round trip.

Tricky Spot in Egypt One Canyon
Third Tricky Spot in Egypt One Canyon

Getting There

Find your way to Escalante, Utah and head east out of town for about 5 miles on highway 12 looking for the signed Hole in the Rock road.

Once on the Hole in the Rock road drive just under 16 miles to the signed Egypt road on the north (left) side of the road. 

Head north for another 2.8 miles to a junction. Stay straight on the main road for another 3.4 miles, as you cross Twenty Five Mile Wash. In about another 6.5 miles, at a trough in the terrain as the road turns to the north it passes the head of Egypt One on the right with a slick rock parking area - this is the trailhead. The lat/long of the trailhead is N 37.57259 W 111.25786.

EGYPT CANYONS OF GRAND STAIRCASE-ESCALANTE NATIONAL MONUMENT, UTAH
EGYPT CANYONS OF GRAND STAIRCASE-ESCALANTE NATIONAL MONUMENT, UTAH

Red Tape

Watch out for crowds of people.

Camping

Anywhere you want on this public land.

External Links

Egypt 1 Canyon - Utah | AllTrails



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.