Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 37.41997°N / 111.90768°W
Activities Activities: Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

3A/B III

Booker Canyon is a nice canyon in the Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument and is a tributary of Hackberry Canyon. Puffy white navajo sandstone is punctuated by ponderosa pines growing out of cracks and typical southern Utah scrub brush. The going is easy and very scenic. If you go all the way down and over the last drop in Booker Canyon the best way back to the th is to then go up Hackberry Canyon to Round Valley Draw, and up that back to your car. Otherwise just park at the head of Booker and return up canyon to your vehicle.

All the drops can be bypassed but the final drop of ~30'. We down climbed and jumped the final 7-8' or so to a soft sand landing. Some may need to rappel/handline or be lowered. You'll need to rap off a hook or build a deadman if you have to rappel. It was also bone dry when we were here. Water may stand in some spots after rains but you may have to hunt for it. Flash flood danger would seem to be low here. The slot sections are short and a way up to open ground could likely be found in plenty of time.

Booker Canyon would make a really nice overnighter if water can be found, or is packed in. Winters would be cold and snow/ice could complicate things greatly.

Getting There

cottonwood wash/rushbed, round valley draw road intersection
Along Utah hiway 89 between Page,AZ, and Kanab, UT, and between mile markers 17 and 18, turn north onto the Cottonwood Wash Road. In ~33 miles you will come to the Rushbed Road and Round Valley Draw.

OR

From Utah hiway 12 at Cannonville, UT, head towards Kodachrome Basin, but instead of turning off towards Kodachrome Basin at the junction take the Cottonwood Wash Road east to the same Rushbed Road and Round Valley Draw turn off in ~14.5 miles from Cannonville.

booker th
At the Rushbed Road/Round Valley Draw turn off from the Cottonwood Wash Road head south ~1.5 miles and park at the head of Round Valley Draw if making the loop, if not continue ~2 more miles and park where you can. I drive a Hyundai Elantra GT and had no problem getting to the Round Valley Draw th, but to continue to the Booker Canyon th high clearance at least is needed.

The Cottonwood Wash Road is slick when wet so watch for rain.

Camping

Camping is available at either th, and throughout the Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument. Also their is Cannonville and Kanab, UT, and Page AZ, nearby.

route

booker canyon overview
If parking at the RVD th continue walking along the Rushbed Road until reaching the Booker Canyon th. Find your way down into the north fork of Booker Canyon, it may be a little steep but we found a walk in route down. Then let the wandering begin ! The canyon above the water course and few short sections of slot is gorgeous and can be explored w/ varying ease. If going down the final drop, once you intersect Hackberry Canyon head upstream to Round Valley Draw and walk up, letting the "ooh's" and "ahh's" fly. At the head of RVD is a short upclimb to exit. Most people should have no problem, or you could boost one up and out and they could drop a handline to assist others.

External Links

rushbed road/round valley draw junction w/ cottonwood wash road - cottonwood wash road junction to th

north fork booker th - north fork booker canyon

round valley draw/hackberry canyon intersection - rvd/hackberry

grand staircase escalante national monument - gsenm

pics - booker/rvd loop

Red Tape

Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument manages this area so follow their regulations.