Egypt Two Canyon

Egypt Two Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located within Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah this is a fun slot canyon involving two rappels. It is is one of several "Egypt" canyons located along the Egypt Road. This canyon is not very challenging with the exception of the optional 280 foot rappel at the beginning of the canyon. For those without a 300 foot rope there is an shorter 65 foot entrance rappel option across the canyon on its east side.  For the short rappell in, from the trailhead's big drop, walk around the north end of the canyon to the east side and drop into the first depression you come to and walk down that to the rim of the canyon.  Set up your own anchor, or more likely watch for an existing one of webbing tied to a rock.

The Big Drop into Egypt Two Canyon
Hikers on the east side of Egypt Two canyon look at the nearly 300 feet (90 M) initial rappel option to enter the canyon. From where the more distant hiker stands is the shorter, second option, of a 65 foot rappel into Egypt Two.

In addition to the entrance rappel, this canyon has multiple downclimbs, long corridors, deep narrow sections, and (as mentioned) a second rappel.  Once in the canyon proper it is only a short jaunt to the second and final rappel of approximately 35 feet with a fairly awkward start.

Generally this canyon should be dry.  However after heavy rains, to avoid mud and water, allow a few days to pass before entering it.

Looking south over Egypt Two Canyon
Looking south over Egypt Two Canyon

Exiting the Canyon: After traveling about 2.0 miles within the canyon it will open up into an obvious wide wash.  You can exit to the west or to the east at any spot you feel comfortable to climb out of.  Heading out to the west (right) will get you back to the road, if you got east (left) you will go toward Egypt Three and you can simply follow the edge of Egypt Two, keeping it on your left, as you return to where you rappelled in.  Some folks hike up Egypt Three, others who head out toward the road enter Egypt 1.5, or parrell it.  

We took 3 hours car to car, and used an east side exit option.

Hikers in one of the deep narrow sections of Egypt Two Canyon
Hikers in one of the deep narrow sections of Egypt Two Canyon

Getting There

Head east on Highway 12 out of the town of Escalante, Utah for about 5 miles watching for the Hole in the Rock road on the right (it is clearly signed).

Travel down the Hole in the Rock road for 16 miles to the signed Egypt road on the north (left) side of the road. Once on the Egypt Road, to reach Egypt Two, travel another 8.0 miles.  Along the way at 6.6 miles the road passes the trailhead of Egypt One with its slick rock parking area. At 7.8 miles the road descends into a trough and enters a wash and slickrock area, with the dramatic head of Egypt Two on the right.  The lat/long of the traihead is N 37.58093 W 111.24237.

EGYPT CANYONS OF GRAND STAIRCASE-ESCALANTE NATIONAL MONUMENT, UTAH
EGYPT CANYONS OF GRAND STAIRCASE-ESCALANTE NATIONAL MONUMENT, UTAH

Camping

Public land, baby... find a spot and camp away!

External Links

Egypt 2 Canyon - ropewiki



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.