End of an Era (5.9)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Larissa ClimbingLarissa looking like a pro and cranking hard on this classic 5.8+.
A really fun climb on a spectacular arete that offers some of the best views in the park. Also a really good climb to teach someone how to clean anchors since the ledge at the top is gigantic.
Herr Hollweck on Top RopeChris TRing this classic route.

First put up and climbed by George Allen and Ann Liebold in 1979.

Getting There

Garden of Gods ParkingPark at the black circle for easiest access to Greyrock.
To get here park at the lot to the south west of Greyrock and follow the road on the bikers path to the base of the rock. Find a fairly obvious climbers path in the scrub oak and cross the street. Follow the path to the base of the rock. 'End of an Era' is the obvious east bolted face on the spectacular arete.

Route Description

The obvious line of bolts on the east face of the arete. The line of bolts/pitons on the north side of the area is a 10a variation called 'Death of the Dinosaur'.
End of an Era (5.9)The route. Xs mark bolts and the red line marks the path of climbing.


Climb on the north face and step around to the first bolt, from here you climb the arete proper on good ledges and somewhat sandy large holds. Follow the 6 bolts to the large ledge with new anchors, (as of spring 2007.)
Lower Portion of  End of an Era Lower portion of the route.
Upper Portion of  End of an Era Upper portion of the route.



If you feel uncomfortable climbing so high to the first bolt, bring a few small-medium cams to protect the lower section. Also be careful clipping the second bolt, if you blow here you will deck, so make sure you are comfortable climbing at the grade. Not meant to scare you away, this is an amzing climb, just a heads up.

Essential Gear

Some quickdraws, something for the anchor, and a few pieces of pro to protect the beginning, (if you are uncomfortable.)
Climbing with CrimpersOn the face of the arete. Good crimps and good feet.


Geography