Potholes (5.7)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.87780°N / 104.88°W
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.7
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The Red and White Twin Spires reside in between North and South Gateway Rocks. Really easy to find, just follow the conrete path to the tiny tower. Red Spire, of the Twin Spires. Potholes is on the Northeast side of the tower. Less than 5 minutes approach on the path from the north parking lot.

Route Description

Originally put up the 1950's by Mike Borgoff, this face climb follows several potholes. There are 4 fixed pitons on the way up decent sandstone to a double bolt chain anchor. One pitch approxomately 60 feet. Rap to descend.

Essential Gear

5 quickdraws, some longer slings for pothole threads and to extend the anchors. The first bolt no longer exists and was placed very poorly, make sure to bring a little pro if you feel uncomfortable getting to the first pin, although I am not sure what you would place.

Also, DO NOT climb after a rain storm. Many of the holds, while good, are somewhat hollow and loose and will give some day, especially when climbed after a good rain when the rock is still moist. I have seen large chunks come off of this route, and injure tourists watching below, so tread carefully and do not crank hard on any hold. Just some helpful advice to make the climb more enjoyable and last longer.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.