Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.03473°N / 121.61064°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Additional Information Elevation: 4485 ft / 1367 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Everett Peak and Blackjack Ridge from Marble Peak
Everett Peak and Blackjack Ridge from Marble Peak. Blackjack Ridge is in the bottom half of the photo, while Everett Peak is above it and just right of center. The high peak in the background is Bald Mountain.


Everett Peak is the unofficial name given to a 4485' peak located 3.5 miles southeast of Silverton, WA. It is one of several high points on a ridge that extends between Bald Mountain to the southwest, and Marble Peak to the northeast. While most of Everett Peak is tree-covered, one can piece together views in all directions from several viewpoints on and near the summit. This scramble can be done anytime FR4030 is not completely snow-covered, due to low avalanche risk, but would probably be in the best condition in the spring.    

Getting There

From Granite Falls, follow the Mountain Loop Highway east for 18 miles to the Mallardy Ridge Road (FR4030 - Just before Red Bridge on the Mountain Loop Highway). Turn right onto FR4030, which will fork in 1.3 miles. Stay to the left, which will continue as FR4030 - continue another 4.7 miles to the end of the road. This road is in good condition, and should be passable to most vehicles, as long as it is not snow-covered.

Everett Peak route map
Everett Peak route map. When the upper portion of FR4030 is snow covered, one can easily walk an old road bed to 3500' from the intersection at 3191'. When the road is not snow covered, it is recommended to continue to the end of the road at 3300', then head uphill to the south to join the route.

Update (5-20-14): I was able to drive to the end FR4030 today, and took the route option from the road end. I found this to be better than taking the old spur to 3500', and would probably recommend it, regardless of snow conditions.

Route

If starting from the end of the road, head uphill south, then southeast, to join the ridge trending west from Everett Peak's summit. If walking the upper roads due to snow, take a right turn at an intersection located at 3191'. From the end of this spur at 3500', just a few hundred feet of bushwhacking will put you into old growth timber, and easy travel along the ridge crest (This road spur appears as if it would be brushy in summer months). The ridge crest you will follow towards Everett Peak's summit is very well defined, and route finding will not be an issue. Continue following the ridge directly towards Point 4472' - it will begin angling up a little at the 3800' level (mostly class 2). There will be one 20' rock step at the 4100' level, which is surmounted with easy class 3 climbing (no real exposure). Soon after this, the views to the north will begin opening up.

Everett Peak north pano
Everett Peak north pano. Left to right: Whitehorse, Anaconda, Jumbo, Bald (the other Bald), Long, Devils.


White Chuck from Everett Peak
White Chuck from Everett Peak

From this point, it is possible to turn left off the ridge, and traverse around Point 4472', but I highly recommend going over the top of Point 4472', as it provides the best south views.

Everett Peak - south pano
Everett Peak - south pano

Bald Mountain from Everett Peak
Bald Mountain from Everett Peak

Bald Mountain (telephoto) from Everett Peak
Bald Mountain (telephoto) from Everett Peak

From Point 4072', descend about 100', and continue 0.4 miles northeast to Everett Peak's 4485' summit. The true summit has no view to speak of, but if you travel just a few hundred feet more to the northeast, you will suddenly break out into a meadow that will give pleasing views towards the east and west.

Big Four from Everett Peak
Big Four from Everett Peak

Hall Peak from Everett Peak
Hall Peak from Everett Peak

Marble Peak and Mount Pugh from Everett Peak
Marble Peak and Mount Pugh from Everett Peak

Mount Pilchuck from Everett Peak
Mount Pilchuck from Everett Peak
  

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is not required to park anywhere on FR4030.

When to Climb

This route is safe enough to climb year-round, but would probably be best enjoyed in the spring, after FR4030 has at least partially melted out.

Camping

There are no restrictions on camping in this area, although I'm not sure why anyone would want to. The nearest official campground is Red Bridge, located near the beginning of FR4030 (one of several on the Mountain Loop Highway).