Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument

Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

Add your best Staircase Photos



September 25th, 1996 almost 2 million acres of wilderness land in Southern Utah was made the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The monument includes a grand geology ranging from the Grand Canyon to Bryce Canyon. A well known series of stairsteps or cliffs with terraces between each is perhaps what is most recognized about the monument. Although the geology of the Staircase includes the Chocolate-Vermilion Cliffs beginning at the Grand Canyon and the Pink Cliffs or top riser, found at Bryce Canyon and Cedar Breaks these parks and monuments are not part of the Grand-Staircase Escalante National Monument, yet do play an important role in the geology of the Staircase.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 31, 2007 1:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Aaaaaah !

You have great organization and management skills! I love your dark, gloomy photos - but, what do you guys do in the summer!
Seems like Grand Staircase/Escalante and Zion would be kind of scary or dangerous during that time of the year. You know ... with all of the lightning AND flash flooding. If you are a resident, I guess you just have to "play the cards" that you are given. I think I just answered my own question!!! Take care, Tanya!

tanya

tanya - Dec 31, 2007 2:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Aaaaaah !

I LOVE LOVE LOVE flash floods, lightning and storms! Summer? That's when we play in the slot canyons ... of course. ;)

lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 31, 2007 2:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Aaaaaah !

Hey, that makes LOADS of SENSE! And ... that's the scary part!!!

tanya

tanya - Dec 31, 2007 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Aaaaaah !

I just happend to ask my friend Shane Burrows about deaths in Buckskin from flash floods and there were not any, but from the info he gave me, in Kane County the deaths were not from recreating in the canyons.

September 17, 1961
At Wahweap Creek near Glen Canyon City a 9-year-old girl drowned in a flash flood.

September 5, 1998
A flash flood in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area's Ice Cream Canyon swept away and drowned a 10-year-old girl. She was standing on the side of the canyon observing the flash flood in the canyon below when the side gave way and she fell in.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 31, 2007 3:03 pm - Voted 10/10

I always regret

to hear about tragedy that could have been avoided. Didn't some Boy Scouts get killed up in Kolob Canyon, perhaps five or six years ago. I think they were going up to the Arch, and a flash flood suddenly got them. Yes, a GOOD GUIDE BOOK would be a necessity and a godsend, along with a topo map! Are you putting a comprehensive book together? That would be truly GREAT, Tanya. Take care! (All this talk about ice cream - gee I'm
hungry, but that's my problem to contend with. CHEERS!!!)

tanya

tanya - Dec 31, 2007 3:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I always regret

It was the leaders of the boy scouts, the dad's actually. The thing about Kolob is that it's not the flash floods that will get you, but its when the conservatory releases water -- which is what happened to them. Their belongings are still strewn about the canyon.

We are working on a book yes, but more of a book about this region of Zion and the places east of it. Hiking, Canyoneering, Climbing.. it's all the same to us.. it's the place that matters. It's so beautiful and diverse here!

Shane looks into such stories and writes about them. He has a nice little book out on the subject. Here is a link to the online version.

tanya - Dec 31, 2007 3:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I always regret

It was the leaders of the boy scouts, the dad's actually. The thing about Kolob is that it's not the flash floods that will get you, but its when the conservatory releases water -- which is what happened to them. Their belongings are still strewn about the canyon.

We are working on a book yes, but more of a book about this region of Zion and the places east of it. Hiking, Canyoneering, Climbing.. it's all the same to us.. it's the place that matters. It's so beautiful and diverse here!

Shane looks into such stories and writes about them. He has a nice little book out on the subject.


lcarreau - Dec 31, 2007 3:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I always regret

to have to go! I have to get off this awe-inspiring computer,
and find some good old-fashioned GRUB somewhere. An "extra large"
PIZZA will do just fine. THANKS FOR THE link and the INFORMATION, TANYA!!!

Viewing: 1-8 of 8


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.