Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.10960°N / 106.65395°W
Additional Information County: Pitkin
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 12791 ft / 3899 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Southern Slopes
Southern Slopes, Green Mountain (L) & Point 12690 ft to the right of it

 
11890 ft Saddle
From 11890 ft Saddle
 
Summit
Summit

 
Just below summit
Below Summit

Green Mountain rises on the south side of Route 82 near the town of Aspen in Central Colorado. It is well visible from the switchbacks on the west side of Independence Pass on Route 82.

The northern slopes of Green Mountain go down to the bottom of the Roaring Fork River Valley (where Route 82 runs) and its southern slopes go to the bottom of the valley of Lincoln Creek. To the east, a 11980 ft saddle separates Green Mountain from a series of 12ers, one of which is known as Independence Mountain. The western slopes of Green Mountain reach the junction of the Roaring Fork and Lincoln Creek Valleys.

The summit of Green Mountain has gentle grassy slopes (a few rocky areas may also be encountered). A notable 12690 ft sub-peak sits to the east of the summit of Green Mountains.

Green Mountain can be accessed from Route 82. An abandoned Jeep Road that has been converted into a trail will take you from Route 82 to Mt. Hope Mine (11500 ft) where you will find the remains of a few crumbling log cabins. You will then find your own way to the 11980 ft saddle and hike to the summit.

From the summit of Green Mountain you will have great views of portions of Route 82 and Independence Pass. Many of the other famous peaks of the area will also be in good view.
East Face
The east face of Green Mountain

Views From The Summit:






Castle Peak
Castle Peak
Lost Man Creek Valley
Lost Man Creek Valley
New York Creek Valley
New York Creek Valley
Tabor Creek & Brooklyn Gulch
Tabor Creek Valley
Independence Pass
Independence Pass
Grizzly Peak
Grizzly Peak


Getting There

Southern Slopes
Southern Slopes


You will not see any signs for Green Mountain Trailhead on Route 82. The trailhead sits at a nonspecific pull-off area on Route 82 between the well marked Lost Man Trailhead and Independence Lake (Linkins Lakes) Trailhead. The GPS coordinates for the trailhead are:
39 Deg 06.511 min, North
106 Deg 36.814 min, West


From the town of Aspen, drive 14 miles east on Route 82 until you see the sign for Lost Man Campground and Trailhead. Continue east a short distance until you see a small pull-off area. The pull-off sits just before (to the west of) an abandoned mining structure by the side of the road (and before the signed area for the ghost town of Independence). Once you get out of your car, you will see an abandoned Jeep Road and a gate that is closed to motorized vehicles.

Route 82 in this area is closed in winter.




View NE
View NE
Independence Mountain
Independence Mountain
Trail
Trail
Point 12690 ft
Point 12690 ft

Red Tape

No fees or permits needed for day hikes.
For other regulations, see the website for White River National Forest.




Meadow
Meadow
Below the Saddle
Below saddle
In the Pine Forest
Pine Forest
In the Pine Forest
Pine Forest

Weather

Click to see the forecast for the nearby town of Aspen.


Stream Crossing
Stream Crosing
Mt. Hope Mine Remains
Mt. Hope Mine Area

Map

Map
 

Misc.

Trailhead on Route 82
Route 82

Just below the summit
Just below the Summit


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.