Hinterer Daunkopf

Hinterer Daunkopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.00000°N / 11.08330°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10581 ft / 3225 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hinterer Daunkopf is a popular destination in all seasons. It offers great views of Schrankogel, Mutterberger Seespitze, Schrandele, Ruderhofspitze, Wilder Pfaff, and Zuckerhuetl. There are various routes to Hinterer Daunkopf: you can reach it from Amberger Huette via Sulztalferner and Daunjoch, or via Sulztalferner and Bockkar, from Mutterbergalm via Glamergrube and Daunjoch, from Dresdner Huette via Gamsgarten station of the Stubai cable car and Daunjoch, and from Gamsgarten station as a starting point (having come up by cable car).

Ski Route From Gamsgarten Station

Gamsgarten station (2,620 m) is the starting point of the shortest route. From the station you can see Hinterer Daunkopf and the route. Head west over a flattish ridge (to the right of the piste), cross the lower end of Daunkogelferner, and go up the valley to Daunjoch (3,057 m). Depending on conditions, you either leave your skis at Daunjoch and walk up to the top, or you go right up to the top with skis.
The route, including the final ascent to the summit, is easy. The ascent from Gamsgarten station to the top takes about 2.5 hours, 2 hours from the station to Daunjoch, and another half hour from Daunjoch up to the top. The difference in altitude is 605 m.
 
Hinterer Daunkopf
 

Getting There

Innsbruck - motorway direction Brenner/Brennero (A13) - exit Schoenberg/Stubaital (toll) - road into the Stubaital (183) to the very end - car park (free) at Mutterbergalm/Stubaier Gletscherbahn - Gamsgarten station

Accomodation

Dresdner Huette (2,302 m)
 
Dresdner Huette
 

Online Maps

Austrian Map online
Online digital maps of Austria (OEK 50, OEK 200 and OEK 500) by the BEV (Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen) - in German

Mountain Conditions

Weather

Current avalanche conditions

External Links

Stubaier Gletscherbahn (Stubai cable car)

Vom Stubaier Gletscher auf den Hinteren Daunkopf - description of the ski route from Gamsgarten station (in German)

Von der Mutterbergalm auf den Hinteren Daunkopf - description of the ski route from Mutterbergalm (in German)


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Stubaier HauptkammMountains & Rocks