Windacher Daunkogel

Windacher Daunkogel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.98611°N / 11.08126°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10994 ft / 3351 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Windacher Daunkogel is located in the western part of the Main Ridge of the Stubai Alps. Although the summit is climed pretty often it doesn't is as popular as it's neighbours the Wilde Leck and the Stubaier Wildspitze. The summit is often climbed from the the Hochstubai Hut. It offers a short and easy ascent that can be done in half a day. On the summit you'll have a beautiful view towards the Stubai Alps, Ötztal Alps and even the Ortles-Cevedale Alps.
The Summit with perfect weatherThe summit of Windacher Daunkogel.

Getting There

In general:

On the Inntalautobahn A12 take the driveway Ötztal. Through the Ötztal until Langenfeld, there to the left to the mountain climber village Gries.

Parking possibility: At the eastern side of Gries, take the road that leads to the village Winnebach. One turn before Winnebach there is a parking lot. The second possibility is at the end of the village gries.

To the Amberger Hut:

From Gries through the Sulzvalley, flatten to the Fischbach, after the bridge over a broad path to the Vorderen Sulztalalm (1898m) S. Then follow a broad path to the Amberger Hut(2136m, about 2h).

To the Hochstubai Hut:

From Ötztal:
* Sölden - Kleble Alm - Laubkar 5 h
* Or Sölden - Fiegls Gasthaus - Seekar 5,5 h
(Both ways are without glacierpassages and can be combined to make a traverse.)

Through the Sulzbachvalley:
* Längenfeld - Gries - Amberger Hütte - Wütenkar (glacier!) 7 h

Routes

Normal route from the Amberger Hut:

From the Amberger Hut head south to the end of the flat Sulzvalley. A short steeper section can be past at it's westside. Then further to the Sulztalferner, always at the western glacier edge along (attention crevasses!). At the end, near the Wütenkarsattel (3103m), the ascent get's a bit steeper. Then climb the NW-ridge, first wide, but increasingly smaller towards the summit. At 3301m over an airy, but short rockpassage (UIAA I-II). Finally on the flat summit slope to the Windacher Daunkogel(3351m).

(F, 3,5-4h)

Normal route from the Hochstubai Hut:

From the Hochstubai Hut go down to the Wütenkarferner (south). Then on the glacier go east towards the Warenkarscharte (3186m). From the Warenkarscharte go south and climb a short rockpassage (UIAA I-II). Finally on the flat summit (3351m).

(F, 2-2.5h)
Descending on the NW-ridgeThis picture gives you a good impression of the small section on the NW-ridge.

Guidebook and Maps

Thanks to JoPo

Guidebook

-The recommended guide is the "Alpenvereinsführer" "Stubaier Alpen" by Walter Klier (Bergverlag Rother, 2002)
ISBN: 3-7633-1271-4 (Description)

Maps

-A detailed map is available from the Alpenverein (Stubaier Alpen - Hochstubai - 31/1 1: 25000)
This map is available with or without routes for ski mountaineering (Description).

-A good map is sold by freytag & berndt (Innsbruck, Stubai - Seelrain, Brenner 1:50000, WK241).
(Description)


External Links

Amberger Hütte: 2135 m, Tel.: +(A) 05253 / 5605 (open end of Feb. - 15. May and beginn of July - 15. Sept.)
Homepage: Amberger Hut

Hochstubaihütte: 3173 m, Tel.: +(A) 05254 / 3240 and 0664 / 3587637 (1. July - 15. Sept.)
Homepage:Hochstubai Hut

Weather:
www.alpenverein.at

Avalanches:
www.alpenverein.at


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Stubaier HauptkammMountains & Rocks