Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.05130°N / 7.76590°E
Additional Information County: Hirschthal
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 1286 ft / 392 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hirtsfels



This is the general view of the Hirtsfels, which is located near the limit between the two countries of France and Germany ... In this new topic, we will discover together, this new rocky destination, which is almost unknown by the hikers and the climbers ! Hirtsfels is one of the most beautiful and savage rocks, in all the Palatinate. The total height of the rock is reaching 56 meters : not bad ! The site is typical for the sector and like too much others rocks of the area, the Hirtsfels is often closed to the public (nestings and breedings of peregrines falcons ! ). The main attraction of the Hirtsfels, is certainly, his fantastic summit and his atomical panorama : we will see this later, in this page ... Be patient, please ! The site is very pleasant, calm, agreable : so, we don't want to lose our time, we want to go there, as fast as we can ... In walk, now !

Getting There

Hirtsfels



The easier access, for reaching the Hirtsfels, is to park your car, in the center of the small vicinity of Hirschthal. This one is already located in Germany, 500 meters after the limit with France. In the middle of Hirschthal, you will find a parking lot at your left and you will park here (four places, free). Then, you have to continue by foots, with taking the " Bergstrasse " (mountain road), for reaching fields. The ascent is steep enough, but the road is having macadam. Later, you will fall at a cross, with several ways : here, you have to take the way, which is situated at your left. Immediately, you can see the object of your visit, straight for you : the pillar of the Hirtsfels is popping out of the canopy, with big charm and power ! You will find several wood benches, for reposing yourself. At your right, you will see the castel of the Fleckenstein, a big touristic attraction in the area ! When you are penetrating in the forest, you have to follow the S-like way (left and right S), in ascent. Then, be cautious and find the forestian way with herbs, at your left, which is hiking at the bases of the Hirtsfels ... The way is not marked, unfortunately. On your right, over you, you will fastly see the sandstone pillar and you will access him, by a very steep slope. Finally, you will be at the base of the climbing rock !

Red Tape

Hirtsfels



It's becoming very hard, for the hikers and the climbers, to practice their activities, on the palatian rocks ! We aren't free, there are too much restrictions in the area ... The peregrines falcons are very popular in the Palatinate and those are strongly protected by the naturalists and forestian guards ! It's a big pity for us, but we have to do with ! So, in a period which is establishing between the 1st february and the 1st july, you will find the Hirtsfels totally closed to the public ! It will be forbidden to penetrate the site, to walk along the cliffs, to climb the walls, to do fire and camping, to bivouak, to throw polluted affairs, ... The Hirtsfels is strongly controled, by special forestian guards and if you are walking on the Hirtsfels in this nesting and breeding season, you might being caught and you might paying a money punition ! So, stay on your guard and respect the restrictions ... At the 1st july, the Hirtsfels will be totally free again, for the hikers and the climbers : it's already an excellent thing, no ?

http://www.pfaelzer-kletterer.de
http://www.vosges-palatinat.com

Main Infos

Real name : SCHÖNAUER HIRTSFELS
Location : Hirschthal
Altitude : 392 meters
Total height : 56 meters
Dimensions category : GIANT (4 of 4)
Marked path : NO
Access at the bases : YES
Climbing possibilities : YES
Access at the summit : YES
Panorama : YES
Natural shelter (s) : NO
Protection restrictions : YES
Dangers : NO MARKED PATH / HEIGHT / LONELYNESS
Main exposure : SOUTH

External Links

For more infos about the palatian rocks, please visit the next websites :

http://www.pfaelzer-kletterer.de
http://www.vosges-palatinat.com
http://www.wanderportal-pfalz.de
http://www.dahner-felsenland.net
http://www.dav-felsinfo.de

PHOTOS

Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels
Hirtsfels