Hoher Mann

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.83000°N / 12.18000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8507 ft / 2593 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Geographical Classification: Eastern Alps > Hohe Tauern > Villgraten Group > Hoher Mann


Nice mountain dividing Casies Valley (Gsies Tal) from Anterselva Valley (Antholz Tal).
Because you cannot descend to Anterselva valley on the other side I receive a suggestion about the more precise location:
Hoher Mann is the main mountain of the ridge that separates the Gsies / Casies valley from its most importan branch, the Karbach valley.

This summit is particularly interesting for ski mountaineering, the top is easy to reach, the descend is marvellous and the landscape from the summit beautiful.
Many skiers climb this mountain so usual you can follow a preexisting trace.

Thank you to Gangolf for precious advice and help.

Getting There

You have to reach St. Magdalena in Gsies.
Casies Valley is a branch of famous Pusteria Valley, so if you arrived from Bolzano you have to reach Bressanone than Brunico and then Monguelfo where Casies Valley starts.

Red Tape

No permits requested.

When To Climb

If you want to reach the summit with ski you have to climb it from december to march.
Hiking all the rest of the year.

Camping

There are not camping site and free camp is usually not allowed.
There are a lot of huts (alm) and B&B. You can easily find a place to stay using the website:

Gallo Rosso Home Page

Along the ascent to Hoher Mann you reach the Ascht Alm usually open also in the winter season, in this hut you can find food and drink.

Mountain Conditions

Uwald alm webcam

You can also call
The Alpine Guides of Alta Pusteria
tel. +39.474.944660

Miscellaneous Info

Kompass map number 057 - 1:35000.
Tabacco map number 32 - 1:25000.
You can find it in the shop near the Church in St.Magdalen in Gsies.

I also discovered on the web a skimountaineering book:
Title: Scialpinismo in alta pusteria
Author: Giuliano Girotto
Pages: 200
Price:15,49€

Touristic Office Val Casies:

tel. 0474 978436
fax 0474 978226

Tourist Office Casies Valley Gsies Tal


If you have information about this mountain that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Villgraten GroupMountains & Rocks