Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 34.24959°N / 117.63534°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

I adopted this page. Will work on it as soon as I can


Icehouse Canyon is one of the most popular routes used to access the eastern San Gabriel peaks, including Sugarloaf, Ontario, Bighorn, Cucamonga, Etiwanda, Timber, and Telegraph peaks.

Many people hike up this canyon to its saddle, approximately 3.5 miles up-canyon. From the saddle, the trail breaks off to reach the previously-mentioned peaks.



This canyon offers a quick escape from the Los Angeles and San Bernardino county cities, allowing folks to immerse themselves in a peaceful mountain environment. On any given weekend, you will find people of all ages hiking up and down the trail, enjoying the cool temperatures afforded to the canyon by the surrounding mountains.

For those wishing to climb Sugarloaf Peak, Falling Rock Canyon is about half a mile up the trail, and to the south.

Getting There

From the 210 freeway:

Exit Mountain Avenue (in the Upland area), and head north. Mountain Ave connects with Mount Baldy Road, which you will take north. A little over a mile after Baldy Village, the road will split, with Icehouse Canyon Drive directly in front of you. This road dead-ends at the trailhead, with parking on the left/north side of the road.

Red Tape

National Forest Adventure Passes are required for vehicles parked at the trailhead. They cost $5.00 for a day pass, and $30.00 for an annual pass. You can purchase them at the Baldy Trout Ponds, various locations in Baldy Village, and any open National Forest Ranger Station.

They are also being sold at one of the first houses on the right/south side of Icehouse Canyon Road, and there is a sign advertising this in their frontyard.

Member Tarol adds about Wilderness Permits:
"The Cucamonga Wilderness requires wilderness permits. You can pick one up free of charge from either the Baldy or Lytle Creek Ranger Stations. The limit of 12 people per permit applies and also campfires are never allowed in the Cucamonga Wilderness."

Camping

Cedar Glen campground is located to the north of the trail, and the trail headed to Cedar Glen is marked and visible after travelling on Icehouse Canyon Trail for 0.9 miles. Camping is more commonly done on the various peaks in the area, namely Kelly's Camp on the way to Ontario Peak.

Dump all water or liquid waste at least 200ft from any streams or other bodies of water to avoid contamination.

Campfires require a special permit, as the fire danger in the San Gabriels and all of SoCal is almost always at a high level.

External Links

Official Forest Service Icehouse Canyon Page


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.