Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.18809°N / 20.08248°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7388 ft / 2252 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the most popular climbing walls in Morskie Oko basin - thanks to a short approach and excellent rock (especially in a middle part of a wall). Kopa Spadowa is placed in a ridge that comes from Rysy (2499 m.), the highest peak in Polish Tatra Mountains, through Niznie Rysy, Zabi Mnich and Zabi Szczyt Nizni. There is a bottom face of the western pillar of Kopa Spadowa that goes towards Czarny Staw pod Rysami (Black Pond below Rysy), which part is the most commonly climbed in a summer. Its height reaches 110 meters (the whole pillar, as climbed in winter conditions, is 500 meters long).

Getting There

From Zakopane drive by car or by bus to Polana Palenica (you can park your car there). Then go on foot (or by a horse cart) 10 km to Morskie Oko (Eye of the Sea) shelter (1395 m.). Starting from the shelter take a tourist trail to Rysy. When you reach Czarny Staw pod Rysami at 1580 m. (Black Pond below Rysy) - surround it, then turn left to narrow path, leaving tourist track, and direct stright to the bottom of the face of western pillar. Approach takes usually 1 hour from the shelter.

When To Climb

All over the year. Summer conditions are the best starting with early July till late October.

Camping

Stay in Morskie Oko shelter (open all year long, phone: +48 18 2077609) or - from July to August - at mountaineering camp at Wlosienica (10 minnutes below the shelter).

Weather Information

To find an information on weather go to: ICM or IMGW. The information about avalanche security is available at: TOPR.

Miscellaneous Info

There are over 20 climbing routes on a bottom face of western pillar of Kopa Spadowa. Pictured three lines and descending path.

General Information about Tatra Mountains

A good info page about the Tatra Mountains.

Usefull Links

More info about climbing in Morskie Oko basin.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.