What's New On This Page?> December 24th, 2006: New pictures attached.
- November 5th, 2005 - Initial setup of the page.
The mountain name is pronounced Krofichka, in some sources the name is also written as Groficka.
When the main ridge of Kamnik Alps comes from the West to Ojstrica summit, it branches on two ridges, between which the beautiful Robanov kot (valley) lies. In the NE ridge the first summit beyond Skrbina notch, 1800m, is Kroficka. It is a nice, sharp mountain, not very often ascended. The ridge is continuing towards NE over some sharp summits, called Ute, 2029m, 1995m, and then lowers significantly to the summit of Strelovec, 1763m, which is the last summit, important for mountaineering. All further summits towards Savinja valley are covered with forrests and in a mountaineering sense less important.
On the SE side of Kroficka range Robanov kot (valley) lies, on the NW side Logarska dolina (valley) lies. In the past the summit of Groficka was more connected with Roban and his farm. For centuries shepherds of this 'mountain king' were using the sunny slopes of this mountain and also maintaining below Ute a small hut (that's what the name Ute means in plural). But also this side of the mountain is steep and rocky, so no wonder that one story is telling of a hunter (named Krofic, after him the mountain supposedly has its name), who got on a narrow ledge to a dead end, unable to go forward and to return back as well. He cried for help and people came below his ledge advising him to throw the gun and so test if he can jump down. The gun crashed, but people said it was in one piece, so the man jumped, killing himself, of course.
Today almost all visitors of Kroficka summit ascend from the northern side, where above Logarska dolina a well maintained hut stands - Koca pod Ojstrico is serving mountaineers who ascend Kroficka and Ojstrica from the north. The ascent goes by a steep path, which below the summit of Kroficka overcomes many rocky steps and is also protected by steel pegs and ropes. Even if there are some steep rocky walls, Kroficka is not known as a mountain for hard climbers.
The view from Kroficka's summit is very fine in all directions, but all eyes are of course turned into the north wall of Ojstrica, standing so close.
Getting ThereFor a broader overview see the Kamnik Alps GROUP page!
The main valley, from which all ascents start, is Savinjska dolina (The Valley of Savinja). Almost at its upper end two beautiful side valleys go towards SW: Robanov kot and Logarska dolina. All trailheads for Kroficka start there. In Robanov kot we can park at Roban's farm, in Logarska dolina we park by the mountain hut.
Kroficka and some of its marked paths.
Hikes and easy climbs
1. Normal ascent. From Koca pod Ojstrico (hut), 1208m, the path goes first towards NE and then turns towards S. Final section is very steep, rocky and protected by steel ropes and pegs. From the hut 2h 15min, from the valley 3h 15min.
2. From Skrbina notch. From Koca pod Ojstrico (hut), 1208m, we follow the marked path, which goes over Skrbina notch on Ojstrica (Kopinsek route). The notch can be reached (no path!) also from Robanov kot (valley). On the notch, 1800m we turn left and climb over a rocky ridge (UIAA II), until reaching the S slopes of Kroficka. Over a steep terrain and the rocky summit ridge to the highest point. From the hut 2h 30min, not marked, easy climb.
3. Over the summit of Ute. The N ridge of Ute (Movznik) can be reached by the path, which goes from Koca pod Ojstrico (hut), 1208m, to Strelovec summit. Here we turn sharp right (towards SW). The route is hard to follow. In some places we still find shepherds paths, over the main ridge we need to climb (UIAA II). Very rarely used approach, hard orientation.
4. Directly from Roban meadow. On Roban meadow, some 60 minutes from the parking place near the farm, you can go right and directly up the slope of Kroficka. This is the old shepherds path, which brings you in some 2 h 30 min on the high grassy slopes, where shepherds once kept their herds. From these meadows to the top you have then one more hour of scramble. Altogether a very demanding orientation, the start of the shepherds path is much above the valley, not on Roban's meadow!
Pozabljena tišina. VII-, VII/IV-V+, 230 m, 3 h. In the distinct pillar left of the south notch, FA by Janko Oprešnik and Tomaž Brglez. Original web post is here. Link to route image is here.
Red TapeThere are no limitations to climb the mountain. The mountain is in the middle of a parc area. For the road into Logarska dolina you must pay toll (for a car some 5€).
When To Climb
|Summer and autumn (best months are usually July - October).|
Weather: see the official page for Slovenia here.
Even better site is wunderground - here's the direct link to Celje station.
Huts and Camping
There are two mountain huts - one in Logarska dolina (valley), the other one above it (1h walk):
Dom v Logarski dolini, 837m, 03 / 5847006, (031) 269 785,
Planinska koca pod Ojstrico (na Klemenci jami), 1208m, (041) 570-231 and (041)417-951.
On Roban's farm you can also stay as it is a tourist farm. In Logarska dolina there are also some hotel capacities.