Monte Soglio

Monte Soglio

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.37143°N / 7.53157°E
Additional Information County: Alpi Graie
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6463 ft / 1970 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

"Monte Soglio" summit is placed on the ridge between Val Grande di Lanzo and Valle dell’Orco.  It is the last elevation of considerable importance both orographical and trigonometrical of the ridge. After it the watershed ends with “Cima Mares” 1654 m., just above the town of Cuorgnè and the Canavese plain.

 

Monte Soglio
Monte Soglio from the ridge between Corio and Forno Canavese

 

Monte Soglio Madonna summitMadonna on the Monte Soglio summit

 

 

On the top is present the geodetic trigonometric point IGM called Monte Soglio (code 042111) and a vertex of the trigonometric primary network framework IGM95, also called Monte Soglio (code 042904). It is formed by a GPS doily mounted on a stone pillar.

This mountain is very popular because offer an easy access and a good panorama from the top.

Main access routes are the paths that starts at: Piano Audi (Corio), the Sanctuary of Milani (Forno Canavese) and Alpette.

Since 2009 takes also place the Monte Soglio Trail. It is a project born from the idea to create an event linked to the Canavese Trail Running sport.

The Monte Soglio Trail foreseen two different circuits, the long one "Gir Lung” 63 km long (3.500 m of elevation gain), and theshortone “Gir Curt”26 km (1.400 metersof elevation gain).

Getting There

Path that starts at Piano Audi (Corio)

- From Turin motorway A55 exit Caselle / Caselle Airport and follow indications for Ciriè and go on road SP2 through Nole. After it you’ll find indications for Corio (SP24) turn right and continue reaching Corio. From the village centre turnaround take the first exit for “Via Piano Audi”.

From Piano Audi it is possible to proceed on a steep, narrow dirt road to reach the small stone houses of Case Ciochet (997 m.).

Route

Monte Soglio
Monte Soglio summit in winter
Monte Soglio Madonna summitMonte Soglio Madonna summit

 

Path from Piano Audi

 

Here we describe the normal route on the south / south west side. From Case Ciochet (997 m.) - Diff. F , 2.30 -3 h, 973 m.

Classical spring, autumn and also winter hiking.

It is possible to proceed on the dirt road or to cross the grasses slopes on path traces up to reach Alpe Soglia (1711m). Alpe Soglia has been renovated and transformed in a hut, but it is open only in summer. 

Pass the hut, turn left and rise on the steep slope that leads to a pass (1927 m). turn right and proceed on the easy grassy ridge touching Alpe Rossolo (1939 m) and reaching the top (1970 m) with the Madonna on the Summit.


Monte Soglio
Monte Soglio orientation table
Monte Soglio orientation tableOrientation table on Monte Soglio summit

 
DESCENT: Descend on the same route

Red Tape

There are no fees or permits.

Small parking at Piano Audi, you can let the car on the side of the road at Case Ciochet. There are no limitations for climbing and hiking. No problem for free camping.

When to Climb

Classical spring, autumn and also winter hiking.

Books and maps

 

-BOOKS 
- G. Berruto, L. Fornelli " Guida dei Monti d'Italia ? Alpi Graie Meridionali" Club Alpino Italiano/Touring Club Italiano (1980). (Italian) 
google books - Guida dei Monti d'Italia - Alpi Graie Meridionali 

-MAPS

- IGC- Istituto Geografico Centrale N° 110, 1:25.000 LANZO - VIU' - CHIALAMBERTO - LOCANA - CIRIE' - Basse Valli di Lanzo


Mountain Conditions

 

You can get whether forecast at this site:
www.nimbus.it 
www.regione.piemonte.it official site of the Regione Piemonte

<a
</a

Miscellaneous Info

Useful:

Mountain Rescue phone n°: Italy  118 

Avalanche Bulletin: www.aineva.it <a
</a

Union of Mountain Guides (Piemonte-Valle d'Aosta) phone n°: +39 011 5171628