Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.55350°N / 11.05510°E
Additional Information Elevation: 6197 ft / 1889 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Notkarspitze is a very popular mountain in the Ammergau Alps. On sunny days the summit gets crouded all the year. The only chance of being alone on the major peak above Ettal is after fresh snow fall in winter. The popularity of this Notkarspitze must have a reason: breath taking views into every direction! Additionally the hike doesn' t need too much time and is easy walking during summer.
In the winter months reaching the summit may be very dangerous because of avalanches, but if snow conditions are well a well trampled track is there and it feels like in summer.

Panorama

Kofel Hörnle Oberammergau Aufacker Schartenkopf Ettaler Manndl Ziegelspitz Herzogstand Zwölferköpfl Hohe Kisten Krottenkopf Bischof Hoher Fricken Karwendel Wank Garmisch-Partenkirchen Wettersteingebirge Alpspitze Kramerspitz Zugspitze Wannig Daniel
270° (west to south) panorama from Notkarspitze at about 1800m / 5905ft taken on 29/Dec/2005. Hide / Show mountain names.


Summit views

The summit views from Notkarspitze are splendid. Because of beeing on the northern end of the alps views to the bavarian pre alp plains are great. On the other hand views towards Zugspitze and Karwendel are breath taking.

Maps and routes overview

Maps:
  • 1:50000
  • A good overview map is KOMPASS #5: "Wettersteingebirge Zugspitzgebiet".
  • 1:35000
  • A more detailed map of the Ammergauer Alps around the city of Oberammergau is KOMPASS #05: Oberammergau und Ammertal.
  • 1:25000
  • A detailed map of the area is #8432 Oberammergau of the Bayerische Landesvermessungsamt München.

    Routes:

  • From Ettaler mill (north ridge) Parking lot is at Ettaler mill about 1km on the road to Oberammergau from Ettal. The trail #262 leads south directly up the steep slopes and up into the Notkar. From there the summit isn' t far and the views get greater.
  • From Ettal (east ridge) Parking lot is at the abbey of Ettal. Walk across the fields south of Ettal until you reach a trail. Turn right and follow the trail up to Ettaler Sattel. From there trail #264 leads via Ochsensitz (1515m / 4970ft) and Ziegelspitz (1719m / 5640ft) up to the summit.
  • Via Giessenbach valley (south ridge) As in the previous description to Ettaler Sattel and from there follot trail #265 into the Giessenbach valley. The trail leads up to Hasenjöchl (1668m / 5472ft). From there trail #262 comes down from the summit of Notkarspitze.

    All those trails start in or near Ettal, but they can be done from Oberau, too. Starting in Oberau, the Enzianweg (gentian path) leads up to Ettal (about 250m of additional altitude difference).

    Getting There

    By car:
    You reach Ettal easily by car via Oberammergau or Oberau on the road B23. From Oberau you have access to the highway to Munich.

    By train:
    Both Oberammergau and Oberau is connected to the Deutsche Bahn. At both stations a train stops about every hour.

    Red Tape

    There are no permits, fees or seasonal closures.
    Because of beeing within the nature reservartion park Ammergauer Alps you should keep an eye on not disturbing animals and take your waste with you.
    Parking in Ettal is free. In Oberau there should be some possibilities to park your car freely.

    When To Climb

    Notkarspitze can be climbed all the year and normally you' re never alone on this mountain (except after fresh snowfall in winter).
    In summer there are no difficulties reaching the summit of Notkarspitze and hiking gear is sufficient. On brigth sunny days the summit may get crowded, but compared to Ettaler Manndl it should quite lonely, because there is no hut or cable car on the mountain.
    During the winter months the upper slopes of Notkarspitze may be dangerous, because of avalanches. Snow shoes eases your trip, but hiking gear and warm clothing is sufficient! If you try to summit Notkarspitze in winter, please check the avalanche situation of the area (unfortunately this page is in german). The summit is a very popular ski-tour.

    Camping

    Because of the nature reservartion park homepage of Oberammergau.

    Mountain Conditions

    Webcams:
  • Current webcam shotWebcam in Oberammergau viewing Notkarspitze.

    Weather:

  • www.wetter.com (Oberau) - Detailed weather forecast of Oberau.
  • www.wetter.com (Ettal) - Detailed weather forecast of Ettal on the north slopes of Notkarspitze.

    Additional links:

  • Avalanche situation - Current snow and avalanche conditions of the bavarian alps (unfortunately this page is in german).



    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.