Focus

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Focus
Manufacturer Mammut
Page By montana boy
Page Type Jan 10, 2006 / Jan 10, 2006
Object ID 1574
Hits 3137
Vote
-padded waist and leg loops
-mesh lining on waist and leg loops
-traditional "double-back" design
-plastic protector for lower hardpoint
-drop seat design

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

montana boy - Jan 10, 2006 12:29 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This harness is an excellent value. It is a solid performer for its intended purposes, and it's tough to argue with Mammut quality. My main problem with this harness is the pathetic seat straps that simply won't stay in place. I only use this harness for toproping with friends, so I just tied them to the rear gear loops. Other than that, it's great for sport and short trad applications.

mrbynum - Jul 31, 2007 5:08 pm - Voted 5/5

Super Comfy
After trying on lots of harnesses at REI I found this one to be the most comfortable of all. The leg loops have wide thick padding for a comfortable sit and solid padding on the waste belt. I've had my harness for a year and a half and love it.
One of my regular climbing partners bought this years model for many of the same reasons. I noticed that they improved the drop seat hook in the back to make it easier to reattach, and the also added an auto double-backing buckle to the waist belt.

delmarco - Feb 23, 2008 9:01 pm - Voted 3/5

Sub Par Budget Harness is what you get!
My first harness I ever bought from Mammut back in the fall of 2006 when I started ice climbing. This harness looked good, but the fit was way off. I exchanged it three times Small to Medium to Large and still didn't get a proper fit. Either the leg loops were smaller than the rest of the harness or bigger than the rest of the harness. Also quality issues with the gear loops warping under pressure sent this harness back to the store for good.

PROS: Looks interesting. Quality anchor loop reinforced with plastic bit. Comfy padding on waist was sublime!

CONS: Everything else. Fit was off. Durability issues all over the place. Small buckles and clips. Extra long webbing tail on waist belt and leg loops.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Curt - Feb 27, 2008 4:43 pm - Voted 4/5

Good *Budget* Harness
The good: Nice padding on waist and leg loops, speed buckle on waist, comfy if it fits you, the price is right

The less good: Drop-seat fastener is kinda fiddly, rear gear loops seem awkward, long tail on waist webbing

I've been using this harness for about a year now. So far I've had no durability issues, and the harness fits me well enough that I've been able to hang in it without undue discomfort. The speed buckle on the waist is nice, but the tail on the webbing is much longer than necessary. The drop seat fastens with a small hook instead of a clip; it seems awkward under the best conditions and I worry about getting it securely refastened with cold hands or while wearing gloves. I'm ambivalent about the gear loops. They are big enough to suit my needs so far, but seem set too far back, making it awkward to access whatever is racked on the rear ones. This may be inevitable, however; if they were further forward, everything racked on the front ones would most likely be constantly in the way.

Bottom line - this is a good harness, but not a great one. It has worked fine for me, but I will probably not shed many tears about replacing it with something a little higher-end in the near future. It's reliable and relatively inexpensive, which is nice. If possible, I advise hanging in it in the store before buying to make sure it fits.

Tsuyoshi - Mar 6, 2009 5:57 am - Voted 3/5

meh...
it is what it is, and it isn't that nice. this was my first harness and it was great for that. that harness itself is stiff and bulky unless you are hinging in it. if hanging, it is fairly comfortable for a little while but quickly becomes uncomfortable. the gear loops are sturdy but small.

in the end, it isn't that bad of a harness but there are much better (lighter, more comfortable, versatile) harnesses out there. even for the same price. if i had to wear this or an alpine bod, i'd choose the alpine bod... almost as comfortable.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5