Peña Foratata

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.78925°N / 0.3443°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7680 ft / 2341 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 Reservoir of Lanuza

Peña Foratata (2341 m) is a rather modest peak, even if considered by Pyrenees standards. But we all know altitude is not the only parameter to be considered in mountains. There’s also beauty. Or views. Or interesting climbs. And Foratata offers all these concepts. It’s a rocky limestone pyramid placed in the very center of the upper valley of Tena, in the spanish Pyrenees. The sights are wonderful all around, and include at least ten peaks over three thousand meters high, and the normal route implies a grade II (UIAA) climb that makes it fun for experienced climbers while scaring away simple hikers. And there’s even an easier secondary summit for those who don’t want to face the final chimney.

Getting There

ROAD ACCESS: You have to start from Formigal, a ski resort placed at around 1660 meters of altitude. To get there, take at Huesca road number N-330 to Sabiñánigo, across the tunnels of Monrepos. After Sabiñánigo you have to get road N260 north for 13 km to Biescas. North of Biescas, follow road A-136 towards the french border and keep going until you reach the signposts of “Sallent de Gallego”. Shortly before that, you will have begun driving by the shore of the second barrage on this road and Peña Foratata will be a prominent sight. Do not enter Sallent, stay on the main road and the next deviation to your right (east), placed shortly after the last gas station in Spain, will be the entrance to the ski resort of Formigal.
View of Picos del Infierno...Entrance to Formigal

Another possibility is to approach from the city of Pamplona (via road N-240 towards Huesca, turning left to Jaca and Sabiñánigo at Puente la Reina de Jaca).
In order to get to Formigal from France, you will need to cross the mountain pass of Portalet from Pau and Laruns. Note that the road (D-934) crossing this mountain pass is usually a troublesome one during winter, and you might find it closed. In such a case, the only road access from France would have to take place by the neighbouring valley of Aragón and the Somport Tunnel.

RAILWAY ACCESS: The closest rail station is the one at Sabiñánigo (about forty kilometers south of Formigal)

NEAREST MAJOR AIRPORTS: Zaragoza / Barcelona (about 330 km)/Pau-Pyrenées

Red Tape

There's no need for permissions nor any special requirements to make an attempt on Peña Foratata. Consider, nevertheless, carrying some climbing gear (harness, rope, helmet). The rock is rather fragile and the final chimney is easier on the way down if you abseil it.

Camping and lodging

Free camping is officially illegal, though it might be tolerated in the area, but it’s not necessary for a Foratata climb. The normal route is a short one and will get you to the summit in scarcely two and a half hours under good weather conditions. Anyway, if you are going to pitch your tent at least try not to do it too close to the buildings of the ski resort. Just in case…
There’s a nearby camping site at the village of Escarrilla (about six to seven kilometers south of Formigal by the main road. Also plenty of hotels and lodging establishments, of almost any price. Check the links section.

External Links

Valle de Tena - Spanish language (sorry) official web on the area of the Tena Valley. Click on "Alojamientos" for information on lodging and on-line reservations

Camping Escarra - Placed at Escarrilla, south of Sallent de Gállego

Aragón Guide - English language info on the valley and available lodgings

Formigal - Official web page of the Formigal ski resort

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pirineos: TenaMountains & Rocks