Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.47244°N / 116.77081°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3600 ft / 1097 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Echo Canyon Road Death Valley
Echo Canyon Road with "Phantom Peak" right
Phantom Peak (unnamed on topo) is a rugged dark peak in the Funeral Mountains about 5 miles east of Furnace Creek. It caught my eye on my first trip to Death Valley. The arid mountains in this part of the Funerals (including Schwaub and Pyramid Peak) have obvious layers of sedimentary strata in colorful, dark coarse rock that feels almost like climbing on a coral reef!. I wore gloves for the climb that were pretty torn up afterwards.
This somewhat challenging class 2/3 scramble has outstanding views out over Death Valley and the Zabriski Point and Furnace Creek areas to the Panamint Range.
The peak is a day hike from the Echo Canyon Road with about 2.5 miles round trip and 2,000' gain.

Getting There

 
Panamint Range with Telescope Peak
Over Death Valley to the Panamint Range from Phantom Peak
From Furnace Creek take Hwy. 190 southeast 3 miles to the Echo Canyon Road (dirt) on the left before Zabriski Point. The topo map says 4WD but I had no problem with my high clearance 2WD van. Drive east up the wash 3.5 miles to the narrows where the canyon walls start and park. Beyond this I think it is definitely 4WD. Take the steep rugged southwest ridge of Phantom Peak which starts just to the north by the road approximately 1.2 miles to the summit.

Red Tape

 
Echo  Canyon Road
Start of Echo Canyon


The entrance fee for Death Valley National Park is 20$ per vehicle good for 7 days based on the honor system.
Bring some old gloves for this hike because the rock of this peak may tear up your hands!

Camping

 
Death Valley north from Phantom Peak
North from Phantom Peak
There is car camping on the Echo Canyon Road starting 2 miles in from Hwy. 190.
For camping info for Death Valley National Park click here.

Current weather and 5 day forecast

 
Phantom Peak southwest ridge
Southwest from Phantom Peak southeast ridge
For Death Valley current weather a 5 day forecast click here.