Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 46.77749°N / 9.67896°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Sport Climbing, Ice Climbing, Via Ferrata, Canyoneering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

In Memory of Cyrill Rüegger

A note from the SP staff
Cyrill Rüegger, the member we all used to know as Cyrill and Digitalis, died on June 13th 2009 in an avalanche on the summit ridge of Piz Palü together with his wife Tanja and a common friend. They were swept down by the avalanche into a couloir underneath the east summit and died instantly. Their bodies were retrieved from the Palü Glacier by helicopter a day after the accident.

Cyrill joined SP in March 2006 and soon was one of the most prolific contributors on the site with almost 70 mountain and 5 range pages to his profile. He was an accomplished climber, bagging almost 1000 summits in not quite seven years. Among them are 35 4000ers and 272 3000ers, almost all of them in his home country Switzerland.

While contributing a lot on SP, Cyrill's real internet home was www.hikr.org where he contributed 585 mountain profiles and reports in his native language German. Cyrill also posted on www.bergsteigen.at and other climbing sites, often under his real name but also under the pseudonym Digitalis. He was a botanist by profession and also contributed his knowledge about medical plants to different websites. Cyrill will be greatly missed by all.

This page will be kept in honour of Cyrill, one of SP's most prolific members and most active mountaineers.

Rest in peace, brother!

The picture above was taken on the summit of Matterhorn on July 28th 2007.

Overview

The Plessur Group is a mountain range in the eastern Alps of Switzerland. Well-known sites in this group are the skiing stations and villages Arosa and Lenzerheide. It is considered to be part of the Rhaetian Alps. The Plessur Group is named after the river Plessur, which originates from the center of the range. The Plessur Range is separated from the Glarus Alps in the west by the Rhine valley, from the Rätikon range in the north by the Landquart river valley (Prättigau) and from the Albula Range in the south-east by the Landwasser river valley.

The Plessur Range is drained by the rivers Rhine, Plessur, Landwasser and Landquart.

Aroser Rothorn 2980mAroser Rothorn 2980m - highest peak in the Plessur Group.



Summits in the Plessur Group

Aroser Rothorn 2980m
Erzhorn 2924m
Lenzer Horn 2906m
Piz Naira 2870m
Amselflue 2781m
Tiejer Flue 2781m
Valbellahorn 2763m
Furggahorn 2727m
Mederger Flue 2706m
Stätzer Horn 2576m
Fulhorn 2529m
Mattjisch Horn 2460m
Montalin 2266m
Fadeuer 2058m

Alpine passes in the Plessur Group

Strela Pass 2377m

Mountain Huts & Refuges

Ramoz-Hut 2293m - Link: ramozhut.ch

Skihaus (ski hut) Hochwang 1958m - Link: www.hochwanghuette.ch

Maps

Online maps of Switzerland:

www.mapplus.ch

Map Search - Online Maps

Weather conditions in Switzerland

Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology

Weather SFDRS

Meteo News.ch

Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research Davos: www.slf.ch

Links

Grisons / Graubünden: Wikipedia about Grisons


Davos village: www.davos.ch

Lenzerheide village: www.lenzerheide.ch

Switzerland Tourism: www.myswitzerland.com

Canton Grison / Graubünden: www.graubünden.ch

Good and favorable accommodations: www.rooms.ch

map of grisons.ch

Emblem of Grisons/Graubünden


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Rhaetian AlpsAreas & Ranges