Predigtstuhl

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.38333°N / 11.05843°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7329 ft / 2234 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

PredigtstuhlPredigtstuhl (right) as a promontory of Hochwanner (center)


I dont know why some mountains in the Alps are named “Predigtstuhl”, which means “Sermon Chair”. There are several summits bearing that name and nearly all of them are a sort of promontory to a higher range or summit - maybe thats where the name comes from.

Our Predigtstuhl in the southern Wetterstein range is a sort of promontory to much much higher Hochwanner and is sometimes called "Predigtstein". It belongs geologically to the so called Vorbergzug which consists of Wettersteinkalk, a solid limestone. This is why Predigstuhl and its neighbouring summits to the east and to the west came into existence (for more geology see the Hochwanner SP page).

Predigtstuhl is quickly summited from the col between it and Hochwanner and then up Predigtstuhl steep north slopes. There is some easy rock scramble involved (UIAA grade I). As it is a north slope it tends to hold ice and snow in autumn and spring times.

Predigtstuhl offers nive views into the Gaistal surroundings and to the western Karwendel ranges. It can be done as an easy hike from Gaistal parking area or as an additional summit when descending Hochwanner. An ascent via Steinerne Hüttl and a descent via Rotmoosalm (or vice versa) makes a nice loop and a nice hike in a more or less remote mountain scenery - especially in late autumn or early winter when Predigtstuhl - and sometimes Hochwanner, too - is still accessible.



Getting There

PredigtstuhlPredigtstuhl as seen from Mitterjöchl


Trailhead for the two normal routes is Salzbach parking area at the eastern beginning of Gaistal. Gaistal is an east - west running valley between Leutasch valley in the east and Ehrwald / Lermoos in the west, thus dividing Wetterstein ranges from Mieming range.

You reach Leutasch

  • From Munich via highway A 95 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and road number B 2 to Mittenwald. From Mittenwald use Leutascher Straße (signposts) into the Leutasch valley. Go on to Leutasch Gasse, Leutasch Kirchplatzl and Leutasch Obern.

  • From Kufstein, Innsbruck or Arlberg region follow the highway A 12 (Inntal highway, fee required) to the exit Zirl. At Zirl proceed on road number 177 to Seefeld and on Leutascher Straße to Leutasch Weidach, Leutasch Kirchplatzl and Leutasch Obern.

  • Alternatively follow from Telfs in the Inntal valley the Buchener Straße up to Leutasch Obern.



  • At Leutasch Obern there are signposts to Gaistal. Follow the signposts „Gaistal“ to the toll road station. Pay your toll (until october) and follow the road to its end. There is the parking area Salzbach.


    Normal Routes Overview

    PredigtstuhlPredigtstuhl as seen from Kotbachkar traverse


    The two normal routes start at Leutasch / Gaistal / Parkplatz Salzbach and unite at the unnamed col between Hochwanner and Predigtstuhl for the short summit ascent.

    Steinernes Hüttl route


    Follow the forest road from the parking area to Tillfußalm. Take the trail to Steinernes Hüttl. Follow the signposts to Rotmoosalm up to Mitterjöchl. Traverse the Kotbachkar below Hochwanner to the unnamed col between Hochwanner and Predigtstuhl. Great scenic trail !

    Rotmoosalm route


    Follow the signposts Rotmoosalm behind the bridge over Salzbach. Pass by Hemmermoosalm and ascend to Rotmoosalm. Use the lefthand trail up to the unnamed col between Predigtstuhl and Hochwanner.

    Summit route


    From the unnamed col follow a path up the north slopes of Predigtstuhl. The trail ascends on the left side of the north ridge to the rockier part of the north slope and uses then some short chutes with some rock scramble (UIAA grade I, look at this for a first impression) up to the summit.

    Back on the same way.


    PredigtstuhlPredigtstuhl as seen from Hochwanner



    Red Tape & Accommodations

    PredigtstuhlMountain scenery at Mitterjöchl



    As far as I know there are no special restrictions in this area.

    Around Wetterstein range are many villages with lots of accommodations of all kinds. The main villages are:

    Leutasch
    Seefeld
    Telfs
    Mösern
    Scharnitz
    Mittenwald
    Garmisch-Partenkirchen

    Around Predigtstuhl there are several mountain huts and Alm huts, which offer food and lodging

    Tillfußalm
    Rotmoosalm: Rotmoosalm was in February 2009 destroyed by an avalanche. In the summer months the old hut offers drinks and food. Please refer to Internet information about the upcoming seasons.
    Knorrhütte
    Erinnerungshütte, not guarded
    Wangalm


    Gear, Mountain Conditions & Map

    PredigtstuhlAt Tillfußalm



    Predigtstuhl is a late spring, summer or autumn hike. Depending on the snow conditions, Predigtstuhl can be a late aim in early winter.

    The hike requires only good hiking gear. The summit ascent needs some rock scramble knowledge (UIAA grade I) which is slightly exposed. You should be sure about how to move in such a terrain. Watch out for snow and ice in late autumn and early winter.

    Map

    Alpenvereinskarte
    1 : 25.000
    Number 4/2, Wetterstein und Mieminger Berge, Mittleres Blatt
    Deutscher Alpenverein




    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    WettersteingebirgeMountains & Rocks