Stanser Joch - Ochsenkopf

Stanser Joch - Ochsenkopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.39925°N / 11.68001°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6896 ft / 2102 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Stanser JochStanser Joch (02-11-2008)

Stanser Joch and Ochsenkopf is part of the easternmost Karwendel subgroup, the Rappenspitze - Stanser Joch Ridge. The ridge runs east - west and its southern slopes dip down to the Inn valley at Jenbach, Stans, Vomp and Schwaz. To the north there is Weißenbachtal, Bärenkopf and Achensee valley with the fjordlike lake Achensee.

Stanser Joch and Ochsenkopf are the easternmost summits of the ridge. Both summits are not very prominent, they are simply the highest points of a east - west elongated meadow plateau. This plateau dips gently down southwards to the Inn valley and forms the meadwows of Stanser Alm.
To the north there are some rockfaces.

Getting There

Stanser JochView from Ochsenjoch to Karwendel main ridges (02-11-2008)

Take the Inn valley highway from Innsbruck or from Rosenheim / Kufstein exiting at Wiesing and follow Bundesstraße 181 to Maurach / Rofan cableway.

From Munich, follow highway 8 direction Salzburg until exit Holzkirchen. Take Bundesstraße 307 / 318 to Tegernsee, Kreuth, Achenpass and Austrian Bundesstraße 181 to Maurach.

At Maurach / Rofan cableway follow the road to Pertisau.

You reach the first trailhead if you take the first road left after the traffic circle. It crosses the railways and goes strait to Maurach - Lärchenwiese. At the end of the paved road there are some possibilities to park the car. The road goes on into Weißenbachtal, its a forest dirt road closed to traffic.
The second trailhead is at the Zwölferkopf cableway at Pertisau. There is a huge parking area, I think you have to pay. If so, do it :-)

Another trailhead is at Falzthurnalm in Falzthurn valley. Follow the road out of Pertisau into the Karwendel valleys. You have to pay a days fee to use the road. After the toll station take the firt road to the left, direction Gramaialm and then after 3 km left again to Falzthurnalm.

There is an exhausting trail from Stans in the Inn valley through the baking southern slopes up to Stanser Joch - I never did that. You have to start at Stans directly. The forest road to Stanser Alm from Stans can be used as a mountain bike route.

Red Tape

Stanser JochGuffert from Stanser Joch ascent (02-11-2008)

Stanser Joch and Ochsenkopf is not part of the Karwendel National Park but it is a wilderness area (Landschaftsschutzgebiet). So there may be some restrictions on camping, collecting plants.......

Camping / Staying Overnight

Stanser JochKarwendel view from Stanser Joch(02-11-2008)

At Maurach there are two camping sites.

At Pertisau and Maurach there are many Hotels and Bed & Breakfast.

External Links

Stanser JochNeighbouring Bärenkopf from Stanser Joch(02-11-2008)

Informations about Maurach

Informations about Pertisau

Cableway Pertisau

Achensee Railway

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.