Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.29805°N / 111.09034°W
Additional Information County: Gallatin
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9945 ft / 3031 m
Sign the Climber's Log
View from The SentinelView from The Sentinel.

The Sentinel from Windy PassLooking up the approach trail from Windy Pass ranger cabin.

Overview



The Sentinel located in the Gallatin Range of Montana's Yellowstone Ecosystem (not to be confused with Mount Sentinel in the Sapphire Range) is a modest peak sided by a grassy slope on its South face but cliff-laden on it's Northwest and Northeast flanks. The Northeast face can hold snow well into the summer months if not year round.

Getting There



The Sentinel is approached easily via the USFS Gallatin Crest Trail No. 96. Access to the trail is via many trailheads along both the Gallatin River (Hwy 191) or the Yellowstone River (Hwy 89).

Portal Creek Trailhead

Approaching from the West, follow U.S. Highway 191 south from Bozeman for 38.6 miles to Portal Creek Road #984. Turn east on Portal Creek Road and continue southeast for 6 miles to a logged over area. Take trail toward Windy Pass Ranger Station and then continue onward to summit of The Sentinel.

Rock Creek Rd/ FS 993

Approaching from the East, follow U.S. Highway 89 south from Livingston for 37.7 mi to Tom Miner Creek Rd. Go slightly right at Old Yellowstone Trail. Turn left at Rock Creek Rd S. Continue on NF-933 Rd. From here follow the trail to the Gallatin Crest Trail, the Windy Pass Ranger Station and Northward to The Sentinel.

Camping



Camping is allowed almost anywhere in the Gallatin National Forest. There are a number of marked locations where camping is outlawed. These places typically coincide with trailheads and in other special cases such as adjacent to the Windy Pass ranger cabin.

Quality backcountry camping spots exist at Golden Trout Lake which is a few miles South and West of The Sentinel. Otherwise campers should consider camping in drainages below the Gallatin Crest unless they are to pack in a supply of water which is basically non-existant along the Divide.

Factors to Consider



Water on the Gallatin Crest trail is nil. Be sure to grab water below Windy Pass if approaching from the South. If an approach from the North is your route you will need to attain water at a creek below the Crest or in seasonal snowbanks found (typcially) along the East side of the crest.

Panorama Video





A video panorama from Windy Pass which is located South of The Sentinel.


External Links





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Gallatin RangeMountains & Rocks