Thin Spread

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.45400°N / 119.536°W
Additional Information Route Type: Lead
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.8R
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Use the same trail that is used for all Zipa-De-Do-Da Buttress routes.

Route Description


'Thin Spread' is located approximately 30 feet left of 'Bypass' and starts just above a "spread" of boulders blocking the trail, just around the left side of Zipa-De-Do-Da Buttress. The one keen signature of the route is that it follows directly up onto a rounded arete. This arete owns fine features (rounded chicken heads and flakes) but offers very few pro locations. The only fixed gear on the route is a single 3/8" bolt, 30 feet off the ground!! However, this bolt protects the only 5.8 move of the route. The remaining section of the route (5.6) continues up and right to the same anchors used for 'Bypass'. Since the route diagonals to the right and is, by fact, a lead route, it is wise to have a second follow the route to retrieve the gear left at the only bolt then rappel at the anchors above 'Bypass'. Total distance to the achors is 110'.

Essential Gear


ONE quickdraw, 60 meter rope and a solid head for runout terrain.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.