Tiptoe Slab

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.97666°N / 105.28883°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.2 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.2S
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



This great route heads straight up the center of Front Porch. This route has also been rated as "classic" by Gerry Roach in his Flatirons guide. It is only 3 pitches but the large runouts and direct line make this a climb to remember.

Front PorchA route outline from Table Mountain.



Getting There



Follow the approach directions on the main page to get to the east face. The beginning of this route begins near the dead center of the rock and is to the right of a large right facing flake system. Stroll over to near a tree and rope up.

Front PorchOn the approach from Porch Alley.
Front PorchLooking up from the start of Tiptoe Slab.



Route Description



P1 (5.2S) - From the bottom of the slab near a tree, head straight up. The slab is very runout, and other than a single bolt, is unprotected. Belay in the flake system near its top. Do not pass this up if climbing roped as there is nothing else to anchor to higher up.

P2 (5.2S) - Continue straight up. Do not trend too far left as this is a different route. After you crest over the bulge, head left to belay at a tree. This will use almost every ounce of rope with a 60M. This pitch also has little pro and the best places are near the top.

P3 (4th Class) - Head straight up for 50ish feet to the summit.

Front PorchP1. The bolt is clipped if zoomed in.
Front PorchCresting out on P2.
Front PorchP3 to the summit.



Descent



Scramble from the summit west to a nice ledge with a tree. Sling it and rappel west about 60 feet to the ground. Hike down between the back of Front Porch and Lost Porch to reach Porch Alley and head out.



Essential Gear



Unless soloing...

A light Flatiron rack. - This route is very runout and this negates the need to carry lots of gear. I scouted for placements and still only used a few pieces. On P1 the only pro was a new bolt (camouflaged) halfway up and two larger C4s (#3 and 4) for the belay anchor. On P2 there were two large stopper placements near the top. This route really is a solo for the leader so be prepared for that.

Rope - A 60M works perfectly. A 70M might allow you to combine P2 and P3.

Water - Although the approach is relatively short, it gets hot in there in the summer.

Long Pants - Trudging through poison ivy may be unavoidable certain times of the year. I did not see any in Porch Alley, but that does not mean it isn't there. Also, there are several large patches that line the Mallory Cave Trail to watch out for as well.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.