Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.73485°N / 3.19496°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4711 ft / 1436 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

UmiónUmión
Talos SomosTalos Somos

Umión or Humión (1,436m) is the highest peak of Montes Obarenes, a range between the provinces of Araba and Burgos, at South of river Ebro that cross the valley of Tobalina. At South of the range is the valley of Bureba. Near of Montes Obarenes are the small ranges of Oña and Pancorbo also very interesting but Umión is not only the highest peak... is the most beautiful peak of the area and it deserve a visit if you're near of Burgos or Vitoria, the cities joins for the road that cross the famous Desfiladero de Pancorbo.

In my opinion in this area Umión is the nicest peak after Palomares (1,446m), a very interesting rocky peak of the range Toloño / Kantabria, but Umión is in the list of Top 100 prominent peaks of Iberian Peninsula and the route to summit is easier.

Another interesting peaks in Montes Obarenes:
Mesa de Oña (1,205m), Cuchillos (1,200m), Sam Miguel (1,053m), Pan Perdido (1,235m), Recuenco (1,069m), Torrequejo (1,122m), Flor (1,338m), Mancubo (1,186m), Galdampio (1,208m), Cantoña (1,355m), Buey (1,349m), Castillete (1,038m), Meriendillas (1,001m), la Paul (928m), Jembres (867m), Gobera (851m), Motrico (739m), Santorcaz (1,047m), Pelado (1,096m).

Getting There

CubillasCubilla
CubillasCubilla

Santa María de la Cubilla (or simply Cubilla) is a very small village in the valley of Bureba. The access to the valley is in Pancorbo, a village very famous thanks to the road that cross the Desfiladero de pancorbo (cliffs of Pancorbo) between Vitoria and Burgos.

You must take the exit to Pancorbo following initially the signals to Santander (N-240) leaving the main road in direction to Cascajares de Bureba (right side). You cross the Portillo del Busto descending to the valley of La Aldea del Portillo del Busto. In right side is the small road that cross La Molina and finish in Cubilla.


See bigger map

Red Tape

All the area of Montes Obarenes is under protection with rules about wildlife and camping.

Cubilla is a popular name in different villages and you have a few only in Burgos and you must be careful if you use a GPS in your car. It's better to choose Pancorbo (the one and only) and after that you can try to find Cascajares de Bureba, La Molina del Portillo del Busto and even Cubilla.

Camping

Vitoria and Burgos are at 1h 15m by car and you don't need really to find a camping or a lodge in the area because both are important cities with a lot of hotels but I show some links if you want to stay in the area.

Campings:

-Busto de Bureba: Camping Puerta de los Montes Obarenes.

Hotels:

-booking.com: around Pancorbo

External Links

mendikat.net (Spanish)
wikipedia: Obarenes Mountains
wikipedia: valle de Tobalina

Wikiloc, tracks: Orbañanoz-Cubilla, Cubilla-Humion, Cubillas-Humión (circular).



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.