Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.18190°N / 4.83953°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8425 ft / 2568 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

TesoreroPico Tesorero

The Pico Tesorero (in english mean "treasurer") is an important mountain of the central massif of the Picos de Europa. Its central locating becomes a privileged observatory and its proximity to cable of Fuente Dé does that be quite popular next to its neighboring one Horcados Rojos of the one that a col separates it, point in transit toward the zone of the Picu Urriellu.
Pico Tesorero and Urrieles from the SETesorero from SE
Pico TesoreroTesorero from N

The hand of the man has determined arbitrarily on a map that its top is the border among the provinces of Asturias, Cantabria and León but this mountain is known fundamentally by their characteristic pyramidal silhouette when it's contemplated in the cirque of mountains that surround Fuente Dé.

The normal route is very clear from the cable across the same track of la vueltona (as Peña Vieja in the first part) and the col of Horcados Rojos, one of the most popular hikes from the cable. The last part of the climb is out of path across a rock climb of I+ with ramps of snow of 35º in winter.



Getting There

Summit of TesoreroSummit

-From the West: from Oviedo across Cangas de Onís to Covadonga.
-From the East: from Bilbao and France across Santander to Unquera.

From here we'll take the N621 to south through Panes, up to La Hermida Gorge to arrive to Potes turning to the west to the cable car at Fuente Dé (good signaled in the roads).

-From the South: the best approach is from León via Riaño to Valdeón across the Puerto de san Glorio.

Red Tape

Tesorero & P.Santa AnaPico Tesorero and Picos de Sta Ana

The peak Tesorero is in the national park of Picos de Europa with rules about the conservation of wildlife, the camping.

Camping

The free camping it’s prohibited in the national park, but the vivac is possible.
Vivac de Cabaña Verónica. Vivac at 2325m guarded in a little metallic tower of a gunboat for 20 places. No water. No light.

Many hotels in the area of the village of Potes, a few of hotels as well in Fuente Dé.
Parador Nacional de Fuente Dé (too expensive perhaps for mountaineers but if you can to permit it ... you had a great privileged place to be lodged near of the cable of Fuente Dé).



When to climb

Generally the best time to climb is the summer (june to september). In winter is an exposed climb and the use of crampons and ice-axe is very necessary. In this epoch the cable of Fuente Dé don't work all the days and it's necessary 1h 30 min more of walk across the path of Tornos de Liordes (west of the station of cable).

External Links

  • Madejuno, climb to Tesorero (text in spanish).
  • Mendikat good information (in spanish) and pictures.
  • mendikat-track: track for gps of normal route

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.