Wy'East

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.37360°N / 121.6925°W
Additional Information Route Type: Glacier Crossing, Steep Snow and Ice
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: III AI2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at Timberline Mountain Lodge. The first 1,000 foot of this climb is the same as the Hogsback. Climb up the Palmer Snowfield to the first ski hut. From here, cut over to the right on the far side of the wand path and find the large ridgeline ascending towards the eastern flank of the mountain. Continue along this ridgeline all the way up until you hit your first steep col. This is the start of the technical portion of the climb.

Route Description


The lower portion of the route moves up gradually steepening snow or alpine ice to 50 degrees. Once you are on top of the Steel Cliff, the route hugs the ridgeline between the Steel Cliff and Devil's Kitchen. We encountered some ice crusting over rock that we fell into, as well as some easy mixed climbing. There are several steep traverses to access the upper part of the ridge. The traverses, including one move where you have to downclimb about 10 feet, were very tricky.

When you finally get to the top of the ridgeline right along the eastern edge of the Devil's Kitchen, you are rewarded with a view of the summit mass. From here you can see the crux of the route, 2 steep gullies of approximately 50 to 55 degree slope and another exposed traverse. See photo #1.

Once you've obtained the top of the second gully, the only thing left is an easy walk over the ridgeline to the true summit.

Expect 6 to 8 hours to get to the summit, if you can do the Hogsback in 4 to 5 hours.

Essential Gear


Crampons, 2 ice tools, rope, harness, helmet, pickets, ice screws, and prussics for the glacier crossing in late spring or summer.

Other


This route has a lot of exposure, and is not recommended for beginners. It is a good winter and early spring route.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
chrisc

chrisc - May 16, 2020 6:49 pm - Hasn't voted

May 2020 Trip Report (via Flying Buttress)


After looking at this in the Mullee book and other photos quite a bit, it looks like there is some confusion about where to enter the crux. There is also footprints almost always going the wrong way, so hopefully this beta can help you locate the path of least resistance!

Link to full trip report with Wy'east beta!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1