Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.96184°N / 107.0455°W
Additional Information County: Gunnison
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11269 ft / 3435 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Anthracite Mesa Overview

Approacing summit of Anthracite MesaSummit from the East side
Anthracite Mesa, named after the mineral, rises approximately 11,269 feet above sea level and also acts as a border between the Oh-Be-Joyful and Gothic quadrangles. It is located within the Oh-Be-Joyful quadrangle and the great Ruby Range, which is a long extension to the Elks. It can be seen from the small town of Crested Butte and from the summits of pretty much every peak in the area. Most people often like to attempt the mesa by mountain biking up it. The mesa is not the most popular summit in the area for sure, therefor it is most enjoyed by just looking at it. The mesa can look its best during the late spring, summer, and early fall. In the spring it is very green and lush. During the summer, more of its colors begin to change and eventually blend into the fall colors, which is caused by the aspens turning. Overall, its a pretty fascinating landmark.

In-depth Details

Here are more details:

Elevation: 11,269 ft.
CO Peak Rank: 1656

Range: Elk (Ruby Range)
Counties: Gunnison

Quadrangle: Oh-Be-Joyful
Coordinates: 38.9622°N, -107.0456°W

Prominence: 329'
Saddle: 10,940 ft.

Proximate Parent: Gothic Mountain
Line Parent: Mount Baldy
Isolation: 1.92 miles

YDS Class Rating: 1

Climbers Log

Getting There

From Buena Vista, make a left onto US 285. From there make a right onto US 50 up and over Monarch Pass and continue onto Gunnison. From Gunnison go North onto US 135 to Crested Butte. From here, make a left onto Slate River Road (County road 739A).

From Aspen, head East onto US 82 over Independence Pass to Twin Lakes. From here, make right towards Buena Vista. From there make a right onto US 50 up and over Monarch Pass and continue onto Gunnison. From Gunnison go North onto US 135 to Crested Butte. From here, make a left onto Slate River Road (County road 739A).
Hiking up the East side of the mesaMany false summits from the East side

Go up slate river road for about 2.5 miles or until you see a unmarked abandoned road-like trail. It is located essentially right by the cut-off for Gunsight Pass. Anyway, the abandoned grown out road will zig-zag you a three miles about until you get to the summit. This is considered to be the easiest way up.

You could also go to Gothic from Crested Butte and hook-up to Washington Gulch. Once your at the top you could follow a small pack trail or just bushwhack your way up the summit. Its no more than a half mile from that route. Washington Gulch is a easy 4WD road so take note on that.

Red Tape

This is not wilderness area, but please pack it in and pack it out because this area is so rare and delicate that only a few people that leave their trash could change it. Besides that no permits required. Motorized vehicles and mountain bikes are not permitted off road/trail.

Camping

You have a few options to camp.

You could camp in Oh-Be-Joyful or at one of the pull-offs along Slate River Road. Also Gothic has a few tent sites, but thats pretty much it. There are tons of places to camp along the Kebler Pass road, but that might be to far for some people.

External Links

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=2233