PAGE IN MAINTENANCE
Ski mountaineering from Usellieres to Giasson summit, seen from Mont de l'Arp Vieille
Becca Giasson (3.215m) is a minor summit close to Grand Rousse (3.601m). Maybe it is not such a wonderful ledge on other Aostan peaks, but its large and variable slopes are good enough to have a full day of funny ski during late season.
As all other ski-mountaineering hikes in higher Valgrisenche, the starting point (Usellieres, 1.785m). is reachable only when the "Ring Road" around Beauregard Lake is free from snow. This happens, generally, on early/late May.
Avoid this summit before road opening, because heliski breaks all day long. I don't like'em at all, then I refuse to give you information how to contact this "criminal organization" for their own business ... ;-
Common begin: Arvier village.
- From Turin/Milan. Motorway A5, exit in Aosta Ovest. Follow Courmayeur direction, until Arvier is reached. Follow for Valgrisenche direction.
- From Switzerland, Martigny (Grand St. Bernard Tunnel/Pass). Drive to Aosta, then follow Courmayeur direction on SS.26. Once reached Arvier, turn to Valgrisenche direction.
- From France (Mont Blanc Tunnel or Petit St. Bernard Pass). Do not enter in motorway A5, drive through SS.26 Aosta direction. Before arriving in Arvier, turn right for Valgrisenche.
Once in Valgrisenche village, go ahead for about 2,5 km. Follow Bonne direction and forward, until the opposite side of the lake. The road descend to Surier village, then join opposite road side in Usellieres. Park the car and go!
Warning. Sometime road Bonne-Surier can be still closed for a landslide before arriving at "Belvedere". Take care about road panel!
The second road (right hydrographic of the lake) is very narrow and dangerous for stone falling, expecially during early/mid May. Road panel warns you just after passed the dam.
No trek permit, no fees to pay.
When To Climb
It mainly depends when road Bonne-Usellieres is open. Generally from May, sometimes late April.
Good snow remain until late May. Some exceptional year early June. In late season it is possible to walk-ski-on-shoulder for an hour ...
My favourite map for Becca Giasson is:
IGC F 102, scale 1:25.000, Valsavarenche, Val di Rhêmes, Valgrisenche.
Huts & Shelters
Hut. Rifugio Bezzi: +39.0165.97129 - 80 places (10 places winter room). C.A.I. Torino - Valgrisenche.
Internet site: www.rifugiobezzi.com
Bivouac: bivacco Ravelli, 2.860 m., 9 beds.
Hotels in Valgrisenche
Hotels accomodations in Valgrisenche.
1) Hotel Perret
11010 Valgrisenche (AO) - 2, loc. Bonne
tel: 39.0165 97107 - fax:39. 0165 97220
2) Albergo Grande Sassiere
11010 Valgrisenche (AO) - 1, LOCALITA' GERBELLE
tel: 39.0165 97113
3) Hotel Des Mirtilles Di Putzu Fabrizio
11010 Valgrisenche (AO) - 7, LOCALITA' CHEZ CARRAL
tel: 39.0165 97118
- Public transportation (bus) from Aosta to Valgrisenche (this link could be broken. Home page related: http://www.regione.vda.it)
- Meteo for Valgrisenche
Talk about Becca Giasson?
Need some vocal info on Becca Giasson? Would you like to laugh at my English spoken? Here is my Skype contact (Exception: when I'm in office I'm not able to answer, because I haven't the USB phone there ...).