Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.19580°N / 3.0066°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2959 ft / 902 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Christian Rodriguez - Gallarraga summitAlone on the Gallarraga summit

Gallarraga is a giant mountain with 902 meters over the sea level. Starting at the same altitude from sea level from Bilbao or over 630 mts from Ugalde village (Llodio).

Mont Gallarraga rises proud in the entrance of Sodupe valley, blocking the access to the big Bilbao city. Located in the same limit with Bizkaia and Araba. Many other peaks sorrounding as Kiputxeta, Eretxa and Ganekogorta (998 meters) the highest point. Viewed from East or West looks like a big piramide, from the north or south side looks like a big and wide mountain.

Many ways to access to the mountain, principals are from a) Alonsotegui 27 mts , b) Sodupe 57 mts, c) Ugalde 630 mts (Lloidio) or d) the recomended access from the same Bilbao with big voyage. Climbing Pagasarri, Ganekogorta, Paguero, Arrabatzu.
Gallarraga summitGreat place to climb practice

Sadly the area have a huge human impact, lots of trails to the summit in a laberynt of destruction and bad taste. Otherwise in the last winter was totally covered with snow and ice. I climbed the direct route with a medium climb in rocks and snow. Looks pretty, no much people went to this particular peak at winter season, was great, I didn't see any footprint on the snow.

Getting There

gallarragaViewed from east side

Gallarraga west viewViewed from west side


A) By KADAGUA RIVER

From this point you need to reach 800 meters in altitude difference. Sadly is the worst way if you looking for nature environment.

B) By UGALDE (1h 30m)

Starting at 270 mts, 5 kms from Lloidio. Looking for Landeta village, then to the Pagoeta Hill. Finally Kiputxeta summit at 728 mts, is possible to save this point and continue direct with a big inclination path to the Gallarraga summit.

C) By ZALDUPE (2h)
At 56 mts, surrounding Miñaur ravine by Elubarri and Urtiaga villages, to the Landeta Hill. the to the Aletxoriga Hill (646 mts) finally to attack the summit crest Northwest side.

D) By ALONSOTEGUI (2h)

At 27 m, to the left hand path of Kadagua river vy Irauregi, around El Somo or bye the Zamaia hill, searching Gongeda peak (668 mts), then looking to Ganekogorta taking the right hand path to Pagero, at this point is better to climb direct or easiest from the left side.

E) RECOMENDED VOYAGE FROM BILBAO to SODUPE or LLOIDIO

Starting in San Adrían Avenue direct to Pagasarri mountain, on the highest point from Pagasarri is easy to find the path to Ganekogorta then climb one by one the highest point from this area all over the crest. Biderdi, Ganekogorta, Paguero, Arrabatxu and finally Gallarraga get down to the west side and follow the trails to Sodupe (take care, many trail to any direction, a map is very useful. In my case was on winter season, I just walk a lot and finally get Ugalde, then walking 8 km more to Lloidio. From Lloidio I was take the bus back to Bilbao. Was an amazing trip with lot of snow, sometimes half of my body under the snow. Amazing trip.

Red Tape

No fees at all.

links

Mendikat In Spanish

Travesia circulra In Spanish

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Basque MountainsMountains & Rocks