Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.92098°N / 2.30481°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4744 ft / 1446 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Aratz and AizkorriAratz and Aizkorri
Altzania s and Aizkorri s rangesAltzania's range
AratzAratz

The peak Aratz is the highest and most important summit of Altzania’s range, an small group of mountains between Aizkorri and Aralar. The south face is the most know because this ridge is visible from the roads between Vitoria-Pamplona or Vitoria-San Sebastian, always present just at South of Aizkorri.

Routes:

-Otzaurte: across tunnel of San Adrian, the first part of route to tunnel is the same of Aizkorri and for this reason this it’s the better option to climb both peaks in the same day.

-Arantzazu: this route reachs the tunnel of San Adrian from N.W. and the peak Aizkorri is climbed generally in first time descending to tunnel before climbing Aratz.

-Araia: nice itinerary across big forest with two options: direct or across the ridge South with posibility of combination of both routes.

Getting There

*Araia: it's the village at South of Aratz.

-Pamplona-Araia:

See bigger map

*Otzaurte: it's the port at East of Aratz.

For the Otzaurte trailhead approach might be a little trickier: the very same roads (N-240a and N-I) have to be taken up to a crossroads north (a short way) from Alsasua. It is signposted "Zegama". You have to take a short turn right, turn left on the very same N-I you were driving on (southwards this time) and take the next turn right (road GI-2637) towards Zegama. Five or six kilometers before you get to the Otzaurte mountain pass. That's the spot where the road begins descent towards the valleys of Euskadi (Basque Country). There's a restaurant there and a little church. There's a dirt road climbing uphill leftwards (south) . It used a concrete road. The signal indicate forbbiden pass, but a lot of people drive the cars 1 or 2 km more. Anyway, after the end of this dirt road (never mind wether you go up by car or walking) it will be a matter of some fifteen minutes to get to the Hut of San Adrián.

*Arantzazu: the sanctuary at West of Aratz.

From Pamplona, you will have to take highway A-15 to Irurzun, and afterwards turn west towards Vitoria via highway N-240a. At Alsasua (that's 50 km away from Pamplona) take road N-I towards San Sebastián/Donostia. Turn left towards Zumárraga at Beasain -after the Col of Etxegarate- following road GI-623. After Zumárraga follow the signs to Legazpi and Oñate/Oñati (road GI-3511). After this beautiful basque village your car will take you up to the Sanctuary of Aranzazu, in a final steep climb.

Red Tape

Elurzuloak (1.430m)Elurzuloak
Umandia and AratzAratz

The peak is in the natural park of Aizkorri-Aratz with rules about camping, vehicles, wildlife... but all the routes are possibles from a nearby road.

It's an easy peak even for hikers but with recent snowfall in winter is a little steepy and you must be careful (normally you don't need crampons and ice-axe after a recent snowfall but you can use snowshoes a few of days in winter).

Camping

You have a lot of hotels in Vitoria or Pamplona, the two main cities with airport at 1 hour of Aratz.

External Links

Parque Natural Aizkorri-Aratz


mendikat.net
: text in Spanish.

ed.sua: map Aizkorri-Aratz.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Basque MountainsMountains & Rocks