Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.25902°N / 3.22016°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2884 ft / 879 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kolitzaby Kepa Castro

KolitzaHermitage on the top


One of the most popular mont from Ordunte Massif.

The beauty of this peak rises proud on the self title aravine near to Traslaviña village. Since XIII century, San Sebastian & San Roque hermitage crowns the summit. Destroyed in 1937 in the Kolitza battle was restaurated in 1949. Altos Terreros is a highest summit very near.

Kolitza was one of the four main point from Vizcaya. The top was used to communicate with horn every point Oiz, Sollube, Gorbeia and Ganekogorta. Bonfire and the sound of the horn uses to call people representatives of the “encartaciones” to general meetings of lordship from Gernika.

Getting There

KolitzaFrom Pandozales

KolitzaLast steps


ROUTE A) BALMASEDA ( 1h 45m)
Starting at 146 meters above sea level, going to Pandozales villages using a wide road, check the GR 123 (Big Route). Reach the water source La Calera, going to the hill Campo del Espino (569 m) on the east crest. From this point is a direct route to the mountain summit in a steepy trail.

ROUTE B) LA HERBOSA
From Herbosa (315 mts), between Balmaseda and Artzentales, follow a big road, searching Casa Forestal El Garmo (422 mts), then the crossing road (494 mts). Take the left hand path to Garbea (718 mts) or to the right to La Porqueriza (533 mts), surrounded Gine (603 mts) reaching Campo de Espino (569 mts). From this point, abandon the road to take the trail direct to the summit.

ROUTE C) TRASLAVIÑA (2 hours)
The beauties route is from Traslaviñe (210 mts), follow the north direction to Untzilla and San Miguel summits, from the last hill (661 mts) before Kolitza the ascent is in a very steep trail to the top.

Links

Mendikat in spanish

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Basque MountainsMountains & Rocks