Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.80660°N / 117.255°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6323 ft / 1927 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Located in the Selkirk Range in NE Washington State, Hall Mountain rises high above the east shoreline of Sullivan Lake. The hike from the Noisy Creek Campground (at the south end of the lake) is strenuous -- nearly 3,800 vertical feet in 7.1 miles via the Noisy Creek Trail 588 and the Hall Mountain Trail 540.

Although Hall Mountain is only the 39th-highest peak in Eastern Washington, it's prominence and the long uphill stretch draws those looking for a challenge.

Bighorn Sheep and some Black Bears are in this area. The Salmo-Priest Wilderness is just to the northeast, and one can see into British Columbia, Canada on a clear day.

A 1926 forest fire burned most of the large timber, so the surrouding cedar and fir forest is relatively young.

From the summit, there are unobstructed views of Molybdenite Mountain to the south, Calispell Peak to the SW, Abercrombie Mountain and Hooknose to the NW, Sullivan Peak to the north, and Grassy Top Mountain to the SE.

Getting There


Take U.S. Highway 2 northeast from Spokane, WA to Highway 211, just west of Diamond Lake. Drive north on 211 and onto Highway 20 north along the west shoreline of the Pend Oreille River. At Tiger, keep going north on Hwy 31 to Sullivan Lake Road (County Road 9345) just south of Ione, WA. If you have entered downtown Ione, you’ve gone too far. Cross the bridge across the river, and head northeast 8.4 miles on Sullivan Lake Road to the Noisy Creek Campground, at the south end of Sullivan Lake.


When To Hike


Hike during the snow-free season (mid-May through October). One can probably snowshoe the trail during the winter, but portions are quite narrow.

Camping


Camping is possible 200 feet down from the summit of Hall Mountain.

To reserve the Noisy Creek Campground during the busy season (Memorial Day through Labor Day), log onto this ReserveUSA site.

Mountain Conditions


Contact the Sullivan Lake Ranger District, 12641 Sullivan Lake Road, Metaline Falls, WA 99153; telephone (509) 446-7500.

The National Weather Service has an automated weather observation station at Bunchgrass Meadow, about 10 miles SE of Hall Mountain near Molybdenite Mountain. Located at elevation 5,000 feet, this station is a good indicator on mountain weather conditions: Bunchgrass Meadow .

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Selkirk RangeMountains & Rocks