Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.72431°N / 116.77522°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 9249 ft / 2819 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hound's Tooth (Elevation 9,250 feet) Bugaboo Provincial Park Selkirk Mountains, British Columbia, Canada

The Hound's Tooth is one of the first spires that Bugaboo climbers see from the trail head, but it is rarely climbed. The rock is poor quality compared to the rest of the Bugaboo spires, and the approach is dangerous and arduous. Thus, most climbers head for the other spires. The Hounds' Tooth is composed of a coarse, fractured granite. The Marmalota/Hound's Tooth massive was first climbed by Kain et all in 1930.  

First View of the Bugaboos The Hound's Tooth (left) is one of the first spires that Bugaboo climbers see from the trail head

 

Getting There

Hound's Tooth can be reached by traversing directly across the icefall of the Bugaboo Glacier from the Kain Hut, but this is a very dangerous and time-consuming endeavor. A better approach is to climb the moraine until you are above the icefall, traverse the upper glacier and then descend along the base of the Marmalota and the Hound's Tooth. Rock fall is a real danger along the base of the Hound's Tooth! 

Alpenglow on Bugaboo Glacier The Bugaboo Glacier icefall is formidable barrier to approaching the Hound's Tooth

Routes

There are only three documented routes on the Hound's Tooth: -Northwest Face (class 4) -North Face Variation (III, 5.6) -Northeast Side The standard Northwest Face route ascends the snowfield and rocky ridge on the northwest face. The alpinist with a penchant for loose rock, however, will prefer the North Face (5.6) variation that climbs the shattered north face and the prominent summit snowfield. This snowfield becomes a fine ice climb certain times of the year. If you know of any other routes on the Hound's Tooth, please add them or contact me.

Camping

Most climbers prefer to stay at the Kain Hut. However it is possible to camp high on the upper glacier.

Administrative Remarks

If you would like to adopt this page, or have additions/corrections, please feel free to contact me.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Selkirk RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Bugaboo ClimbsMountains & Rocks