Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.08567°N / 9.71818°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7139 ft / 2176 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mottakopf summitThe Mottakopf Summit

Mottakopf is probably the easternmost summit of the Schesaplana-Group of the Rätikon Range. It stands at the end of a short ridge, which originates in Wildberg, then runs eastwards to Mottakopf, only to drop steeply to Mittelberg a hill like summit above Brand, the tourist center in the east of Rätikon. The ridge, while short, is very impressive dropping for about 1500m before it reaches the valley floor. The south side is dominated by steep alpine meadows which reach up to the summit while to the north the ridge drops off in vertical or overhanging faces.
Mottakopf
The Mottakopf summit ridge
Mottakopf

Mottakopf is a typical summit for the northern limestone Alps. Most of it is covered in Greenery while only the very summit block appears to be more solid. In this case the summit block is made up from about 40m of solid dolomite with a weakness of 50m width in which the meadows reach almost up to the top. The whole area is used for sheep and cattle grazing so that more often than not you will find the summit occupied by a flock of these animals.

During the ascent of Mottakopf you can admire one of the Alps most impressive cirques, a slightly smaller version of Cirque de Garvanie in the Pyrenees. It is located between Seekopf, Schesaplana and Wildberg and drops from 2900m down to about 1400m. The Garvanie impression is made complete by a big waterfall, which however, doesn't reach the height of its famous counterpart.
The Seekopf - Zirmenkopf - Wildberg Cirque
Gletscherbach Waterfall
The Seekopf - Zirmenkopf - Wildberg Cirque

Thanks to the location on the end of its ridge Mottakopf is a perfect lookout peak. It looks out across Brandnertal Valley and offers wonderful close-up and deep views into the Rätikon Range. For any further views you obviously need clear weather, which we didn't have during our ascent.
Marmot family
Marmot child
Marmot Dad
Marmot family
Marmot Twins
Marmot Kid

The whole Sonnenlagant area beneath the Wildberg Ridge is an Eldorado for marmots. We had the luck of observing a whole family with the young couriously observing us while the parents coolly looked on. I never had the opportunity to observe young marmots up close. They appear to be more intelligent than they probably are ;-)

360° Summit Panorama

360° summit panorama Mottakopf

Getting There

ZalimkammZalimkamm seen from Mottakopf

Trailhead for Mottakopf is the end of Brandnertal. If you take the road to the Lünersee Cable-Car you'll reach a bend in the road, where it takes you across the Gletscherbach Creek. A few metres behind the curve there is a small parking space (4 cars). The trailhead starts back at the bend in the road (signs).

Brandnertal itself has its own exit on motorway A14 and is located directly opposite of the regional capital Bludenz. The motorway connects Bregenz on Lake Constance (and thus the border region between Switzerland, Austria and Germany) with Innsbruck across Arlberg Pass or Tunnel. Thus the area can be very easily reached.

Red Tape

There's no Red Tape here. Obviously, as the region is used for cattle grazing any fences or gates need to be closed after you hike through them.

Accommodation

BrandnertalBrandnertal reaching all the way down to Bludenz

Since Brandnertal is a well known ski area there is plenty of accommodation nearby. You can use the following link:

www.brandnertal.at

Also, in Bürserberg, near the mouth of the valley, there is a campground if you are inclined this way.

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps


  • Brandnertal / Nenzinger Himmel / Rätikon
    1 : 35.000
    WK 5374
    Verlag Freytag & Berndt
    ISBN: 978-3-7079-1275-3
  • Montafon
    1:25000
    WK 032
    Kompass Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-85491-614-7


Books


  • Brandnertal
    Herbert Mayr
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-7633-4035-4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

RaetikonMountains & Rocks