Mount Grossvogel, 5.5-5.11a

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.01028°N / 116.18079°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Dow leading Berserk, 5.10a*
Dow leading Berserk, 5.10a*

Mount Grossvogel is an obscure feature located out in the large open flat desert valley between Lost Horse road and Read Hidden Valley, appropriately named Lost Horse Valley.  Jimmy Cliff is the mainstay feature in Lost Horse Valley sporting over 20 climbs, many of which are recommended.  Aguille (sic) de (sic) Joshua Tree is also a popular objective in Lost Horse Valley.  The rest of it gets much less attention.  

Mount Grossvogel’s south face does feature one really good crack line, Berserk, 5.10a*.  Berserk is easy to locate on the broad south face as it runs through a black varnish section of the wall at the east end. 

You can reach Mount Grossvogel from either the parking at the dead end of Lost Horse road or from the parking for Real Hidden Valley.  The distance is equal and the ground flat.  Jimmy Cliff and Arid Piles offer routes to combine with the few worthy climbs on Grossvogel for as full of a day as you want to entertain.  All three formations form a triangle with Mount Grossvogel anchoring the southern point of said triangle.  I prefer to park at Real Hidden Valley and hike west out of the parking area on the well-established trail as you would for the popular sport climb named Loose Lady, 5.10a****.  Pass its formation which sits on the right and continue out into the open desert for Arid Piles.  You pass through some cool colored rock on the right side of Arid Piles and turn left for Mt. Grossvogel.  Circumvent it on its east side and Berserk is located at the east end of its broad south face.

South Face, Routes Listed Right to Left

Berserk- 45’-5.10a*/ A great crack climb at the southeast end of the south wall on Grossvogel.  Twin cracks through black varnished rock to a short, physical overhang move.  Right side of the overhang feels more exposed.  Left side offers a flaring hand crack.  Sustained for several meters either way you choose.  Then quick and easy ground to a fun wider crack finish.  Gear belay.  Scramble directly back and then turn right for the descent.   Single rack C4 #4.  Dow

Crazy Climber- 45’-5.11a*/

North Face, Routes Listed Left to Right

Dr. Seuss Vogel- 90’-5.7/

Iron Mantel- 60’-5.10cR/

Big Bird- 65’-5.7/

Robo Ranger- 70’-5.5/



Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.