Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.45400°N / 118.554°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12343 ft / 3762 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The best part about Sawtooth is the grand view of the Great Western Divide. The view of Monarch Lakes and the diverse choices you can take after summiting. An easy Class 2 climb, especially for the Sierras. The Kaweahs stood out. To the north east was the Whitney group. Far below me was the summit tower of Mineral Peak, and to the south I had an impressive view of Tulare Peak and the north face of Florence Peak. Far off in the distance was Olancha Peak and further south were Owens and Siretta. 360 degrees of just beauty.

Getting There

Take State Route 198 from Visalia to Sequoia National Park, turn right onto Mineral King Road about 3 miles outside of Three Rivers. Follow Mineral King Rd. 25 miles to Timber Gap trailhead, about half a mile before road end (and a short distance before reaching Mineral King Ranger Station). Mineral King Road is paved for approximately the first 10 miles, it is a very narrow, winding road on a steep hillside, mostly without any protection from the steep drop-off to East Fork Kaweah River on the right. This drive normally takes 1.5 - 2 hours. Trailhead elevation is 7800 feet. As a word of caution, the Mineral King area and the trailhead has severe marmot problem. Control of these critters has been limited by the Park Service. they recommend that you take protective measures for your vehicle (short of lacing food with poison!). There have been incidents in the past where marmots have chewed through radiator hoses and cables, thus disabling them! One lucky marmot was able to hitch a ride.....all the way to L.A.!!!

From Timber Gap trailhead take the trail up the east slopes of Mineral King Valley, then follow sign for Sawtooth Pass. One-way distance is 5 miles to Sawtooth Pass. From the pass, following the ridge to the south for an additional 1 mile of class 2 scrambling to reach the summit. According to scottyb for about 1/2 mile below Sawtooth Pass the trail climbs much steep sand, the main unpleasant part of the hike. It can possibly be avoided by going cross-country on the right, ascending the southwest ridge of Sawtooth Peak.

Red Tape

Entrance fee for Sequoia National Park is $20 per private vehicle for 7 days, or $5 per person walking in or on bus for 7 days. Back country camping requires a free wilderness permit. Obtain Trail Permit at Mineral King Ranger Station.

Mineral King Ranger Station: On Mineral King Road, 24 miles east of Hwy. 198. Maps, local wilderness permits, first aid, bear canisters. Daily 7am - 3:30pm June through early September. After that, wilderness permits are available on the porch of the station. Call Sequoia National Park at 559-565-3341 and ask for Mineral King Ranger Station.

When To Climb

Late Spring/early summer or Early Fall. Not the highest country so heat can beat down on ya if you do it in the prime of summer. Winter mountaineering requires long distance cross-country skiing for approach, as snow on Mineral King Road is not plowed.

Camping/Wilderness Travel

Back country camping requires a wilderness permit ($15). You can camp at a number of Lakes from Columbine to Crystal Lake as well as upper and lower Monarch Lake. Bear cannisters required to protect your food from black bears. No campfires permitted in Mineral King area. See Red Tape section for ranger station information.

Mountain Conditions

You can call Mineral Kings Ranger station for weather conditions and advice for your personal comfort. Call Sequoia National Park at 559-565-3341 and ask for Mineral King Ranger Station.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jul 10, 2002 3:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Here's a helpful link from climber.org with a great map and waypoints for getting to Mineral King.

scottyb

scottyb - Aug 13, 2002 8:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

There is about 1/2 a mile of sand to climb below the pass. There is something like a trail meandering up the slope. If I were to do it again I would stay to the right side of the "gully" and try to climb on the easy class 2-3 rock to the pass. Or climb the south face from Monarch Lake, which I hear has less sand.

Sierrabonehead - Nov 23, 2003 8:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Don't know if this is still occuring, but in the 80's, marmots were eating fan belts and radiator hoses in cars parked at the trailheads in the MK valley. The Silver City store even sold emergency fan belts. A trick I was told about was to put mothballs under the car, and this would keep the marmots away. Might check with the rangers if this is still going on.

mtbaxter

mtbaxter - May 16, 2014 5:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Marmots and Car Damage

In places where marmots chew car hoses and belts I use coyote urine. One can buy a bottle at Amazon.com, Home Depot, etc. Cheapest I've found is at Walmart.com I just pour it into a spray bottle and spray it around the base of the car and in the engine compartment. Easier and less scratch provoking than chicken wire. taking up to White Mtn TH next month.

notaposer - Apr 6, 2006 1:15 am - Hasn't voted

MK Pack Station

No longer exists. The NPS finally hassled them so much they left.

Lisallb - Aug 25, 2013 11:26 am - Hasn't voted

Different Approach

A different approach to the peak, and much better than approaching from Sawtooth Pass (to avoid the scree), approach via upper Monarch Lake and from the south side. Not any more technical but more scrambling. Went down the steep SW side (no trail and class 3/4) of the peak between the Monarch Lakes and would not recommend this due to scree on top of granite making it very treacherous. Did get down this but not without battle wounds.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Great Western DivideMountains & Rocks
 
Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPMountains & Rocks